Advice needed on a badly beaten up chicken.

• 5 Replies

snowie

Advice needed on a badly beaten up chicken.
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:47 »
Looking for some advice on one of my chickens which has been badly beaten up by two others.
We got 6 chickens almost four years ago. Three from a supplier, and three rescue hens.
Over the years we have lost three with only one of the rescue hens remaining.
All three got on okay, with no squabbling.
Until yesterday.
When I went to feed them, the coop was covered in feathers, and I found our remaining rescue hen in a pretty bad way. My first thought was a fox had got in, but we don't have fox problems here.
Almost all her feathers on her neck and back are gone, and what is left is a mass of cuts and blood.
She is also just sitting in the nesting box, not moving to eat or drink.
I lifted her out and put her down at some grain, but she was immediately attacked by one of the other hens.
I have now separated them in the coop.
My neighbour says, put it 'out of it's misery', but he is a heartless sod!
Is there anything I can do to help her, and if so, and she doesn't improve, how long do I give her until I do have to follow my neighbours advice?
Our local vet, (for our dogs) is not 'hen friendly', and would probably agree with my neighbour.
Thanks

ghost61

Re: Advice needed on a badly beaten up chicken.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 13:05 »
Peace and quiet is what she needs, I would make sure she is not stressed by seeing her attackers too.  As long as she is eating and drinking (give her some tonic/spice) then I wouldn't cull her.  Your problem is going to,be reintroducing her to the flock.  I don't think that will be possible, so re homing is your only option assuming she improves.

However, the real problem is the bullies, if they turn on other hens, I'd cull them!

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 13:36 »
Peace and quiet is what she needs, I would make sure she is not stressed by seeing her attackers too.  As long as she is eating and drinking (give her some tonic/spice) then I wouldn't cull her.  Your problem is going to,be reintroducing her to the flock.  I don't think that will be possible, so re homing is your only option assuming she improves.

However, the real problem is the bullies, if they turn on other hens, I'd cull them!

Hens will spot signs of sickness or weakness in another hen long before humans will , they will also abandon or finish off weak offspring .

Chicken nature, they do not play by human rules!

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 19:31 »
8doubles is correct. Hens will often attack another hen that is ill or weak and they are relentless. You mention that she is an ex rescue hen - could it be that she is of such an age now that she may not have long left? Hens will know this and as stated will just go for it.

RubyR3d

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 19:36 »

.  I agree with this post. It may just be one doing it. A few years ago one of my favourite characterful warrens was constantly picked on viciously by a bluebelle. As I tried to coax her out of the coop I would watch the bb peep round the side of the run looking for her. She would walk up looking the other way then attack. It was just like a spiteful bully in the playground. I kept the warren and gave the bb away, pleased in the knowledge that she in turn would be picked on. :dry:

snowie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 22:52 »
Many thanks for all your replies. Our rescue girl is now doing okay, is isolated from the other two, but still looks in a bit of a state. My son is looking after her, hand feeding her and refreshing her water every hour or so. It's quite touching watching them, and hopefully she will pull through.
Thanks again.

exclamation
Chicken advice needed

Started by dianamack on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 11:12
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicken behaving badly!!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 22:40
by smileysal
xx
Chicken with cut foot...advice needed

Started by Lmo25 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 10:06
by compostqueen
xx
advice on chicken run floor needed!

Started by Angelina on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:12
by blossom1044

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 28 queries.