Chicken behaving badly!!

• 31 Replies

flangey

Chicken behaving badly!!
« on: July 27, 2009, 21:58 »
Hello, this may sound a bit mad, but one of my girls is becoming very badly behaved! Nothing too serious (I actually find it quite funny love her) but she seems completely obsessed with barging into our kitchen and stealing the cat food! I don't entirely discourage them wondering in occasionally, but she's started throwing herself head long towards the back door everytime its opened and yesterday, one of my cats was tucking in to her tea, when marjorie burst in, chased her off, kicking the other bowls of food flying and stuffing her face! When I pick her up and put her out, she does an about turn, head down and runs back in again.  I'm in the process of having a paddock fenced for them as they free range round the garden at the mo, its just extra security if I pop out, but at the moment I cant leave the back door open at all! The other morning, when I let them out, instead of eating her own breakfast, she charged down the garden towards the house to get the cats breakfast!  I've tried lifting the cat food up and letting her in to see there's nothing worth having, but as soon as its down again, she's back with a vengence.  If they had a chicken olympics she would definatley get a gold for the 100 metre sprint! Any suggestions!? :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicken behaving badly!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 22:01 »
don't know but would love to see a video of this  :lol: :lol: Perhaps you should send it in to the tv show that pays for videos.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 22:05 »
cheeky mare, oh please you have to video that as joyfull said i would love to see her doing it, does sound very funny, obviously not for your poor cat who cannot eat its food in peace. nickyc

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 22:11 »
maybe replace the catfood with layers pellets???? That'll stump her! :D

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 22:16 »
Ahhhhh, yes, chickens and cat food  :D

We ended up giving our chickens their own mini paddock in the garden, as we got to the stage when we could hardly get out the back door for all their faces pressed against the glass wanting to get to our cats food   :D

Entirely my fault of course  :blush: I thought I'd let them in to see what they did and they headed straight for the cat food. They were like rugby players round the plate.
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 00:32 »
Very amusing but you shouldn't be feeding animal products to chickens even though you don't plan on eating marj you shouldn't encourage her.
Truth through science.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 04:06 »
im sorry im not much help, that sounds very funny and puts fab images in my head! you will have to get video! lol

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 07:40 »
I give mine a bit of non poultry flavoured cat food if they are moulting. Not exactly herbivores now are they :D
      Would love to see a video of that :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 07:48 »
I have dog food near the back door and a water bowl.  Despite the fact that they have their own bowl they do like to come and take Lewies!  I wouldn't mind them coming in apart from their poop which I really don't want on the kitchen floor!  I have a water mister at the back door and when they come in I spray them.  It deters them a little although they try it a number of times.  They range around the garden in the late afternoon/evening so it isn't all day but I like to keep the back door open so that the dog can save them if any cats/foxes arrive.

I was thinking about getting a stair gate for the back door but it would mean the dog couldn't get out so kind of defeats the object of having the back door open.  Might work for you though.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 10:35 »
She could probably get over a gate.

I was reading a hen book the other day..... can't remember which one it was, I've read nothing else recently.  Might have been 'Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance' - really funny book, would recommend!

Anyway, there was an account of a hen being kept out of the house by one of those chain curtains.  Usually use them to keep flies out.  Might not work for a v. determined chuck though!

Sue33

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 10:42 »

these girls are cheeky aren't they, I'm having the same with my three, they stand outside the conservatory and if the door is left open they charge in and eat my aloe vera, it's quite a large plant and it's on the floor so I think I'm gonna have to move it!  They are funny though  :)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 10:45 »
Very amusing but you shouldn't be feeding animal products to chickens even though you don't plan on eating marj you shouldn't encourage her.

Well actually, as cat food contains more protien and good things it can be fed to sick hens in order to perk them up so I don't see the harm in healthy hens having a bit every now and again; after all, it's not as if it's made from real meat :dry:

Flangey; you have to get that on film!!

Mine almost take off and fly the length of their run when they see me coming in case I have any goodies for them!

flangey

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 13:48 »
hi, what a great idea, i will definately video it.  It would be great to put it to music too, maybe the theme from the great escape or the dam busters!! I had a little chat to her this morning about her behaviour, she seemed to take it on board............. NOT!! Just to let you all know, she's the one I named after the Mother in Law, might have something to do with it!!!!!! :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 13:50 »
well if it gets shown on tv I want a cut of the money  :lol:  :lol:

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 14:32 »
she's a very naughty girl obviously with a mind of her own.  :lol:
 Try a bead curtain?
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

xx
HELP PLEASE DRAKE BEHAVING BADLY!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 16:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
chicken behaving strangely...

Started by Nats on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 15:41
by compostqueen
xx
my chicken is behaving strangly

Started by johnmortimore on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 22:45
by grinling
xx
Advice needed on a badly beaten up chicken.

Started by snowie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 22:52
by snowie

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 37 queries.