Battery Hen Welfare Trust

• 12 Replies

Gazza

« on: January 23, 2008, 22:58 »
Just about to embark on taking on four rescue batts. Am in the process of ordering an Ark from a supplier offering discounts to rescuers. Before I take the plunge can anyone who has done this reassure me that they do adapt and recover from their mis-use. I would hate to take them on only to find they deteriorate. Thanks

mashauk

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 23:09 »
I know nothing about keeping chickens but I'm sure that they will have a much better life with you and you're doing a great thing.  Years ago a friend of mine took some ducks from a battery farm (I didn't even realise you could do that with ducks!) - and he said at first they wouldn't go in the water, but they soon got in the swim :lol:

Fat Hen

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 23:18 »
Mine have developed into the cheakiest happy hens you could wish to encounter.

I got them in october 3 in various states of condition.

1  (Elle) looked like a normal healthy chuck.  But a bit fat.
2  (Sarah)  Neck bare of feathers, so was undercarraige and wings looked manky.  
3  (Rita) - the sorryest looking hen you could wish to meet.

Now 4 months later:

Elle - trimmed up a bit, second in command (1st is my little Silkie - Daisy), happy, cheaky chucky.  Lays daily.

Sarah - Neck feathers grown back, into everything, always looks scruffy (and very happy), loves rolling in mud and catching worms.  Lays daily.

Rita - almost pegged it, had a good few visits to vet after a prolapse.  Vet very good and didn't charge me for everything.  Now very fit, gone from being bald and a tiny sorry chuck to a beautiful full feathered hen.  Always first in house as soon as door to garden open (stampede).
Lays enormous egg every 2nd day.

They're all very happy, follow me around all the time when i'm home, talk to me (tell me off) incessantly.

Go for it, I wish I could take more.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Battery Hen Welfare Trust
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 23:20 »
Quote from: "Gazza"
Just about to embark on taking on four rescue batts. Am in the process of ordering an Ark from a supplier offering discounts to rescuers. Before I take the plunge can anyone who has done this reassure me that they do adapt and recover from their mis-use. I would hate to take them on only to find they deteriorate. Thanks

The birds have had a terrible life so far Gazza,  If you take on 4 you may find they all recover well but it is not uncommon for one or two not to make it, but it's like rosemary's starfish story.  It will be 100% sucess to the girls who make it.  Well done Gazza, there will be lots of help and advice for you here  :D

Gazza

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 19:57 »
Thanks for your encouragement guys. I have today placed my order for a 4 bird Ark unit and starter kit and am awaiting info from my local Trust co-ordinator of forthcoming re-homing dates. This site look like a great source of information and advice, which no doubt I will need to draw on in a significant way! Will keep you posted about developments. :wink:

Selkie

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 20:13 »
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=10411

Gazza, here's a link to my starfish story, incase you were wondering!

You really should be proud of yourself, you are going to do something wonderful :D

Well done, and let us all know how you get on :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 20:28 »
Quote from: "Selkie"
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=10411

Gazza, here's a link to my starfish story, incase you were wondering!

You really should be proud of yourself, you are going to do something wonderful :D

Well done, and let us all know how you get on :D

Oh thanks Rose,  silly of me not o have thought that Gazza may not have read it.  That story will always stay with me  8)

Gazza

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 20:31 »
Thanks Selkie. Took a look at your Starfish link. Its spot on. If 100 of us made a 1% effort to solve a problem then collectively we can make all the difference! Naive in many ways I know, but if no-one made the effort at all the world would be an even sadder place!  :)

Selkie

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 21:04 »
Gazza I'm glad you liked it (and you too Auntie), I am a total optimist and agree with you, you have to do what you can do and make a difference.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 21:21 »
Hi Gazza and welcome!

You will never regret rescuing some ex battery girls, even if one of them only has a week with you, at least she will have spent her last week in happy surroundings, doing what chooks are meant to do.

When we had ours, it took them 4 days just to get out of the house!  Then they walked around looking up at a sky they'd never seen before, and down at grass they didn't know existed.

They soon get used to being hens, believe me and will follow you around because you are now their 'Mum'.  We had 75 and I always felt like the pied piper walking past the fence of their run to get to the gate.  they even followed the dog when she was out in the run because they associated her with the food I was carrying!  They are really funny, and soon get their feathers back.  some take longer than others.

Please look at my pics of my girls.  All the brown hens are ex batts!!!!

Half way down page 4 onwards in the chook album!!

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/grannieannie_2006/Chooks/?start=60

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 22:09 »
Yes, Grannieannie is right, I've had four ex-batts for nearly a year, it's really great to see them enjoy life and turn into 'normal' chickens. Go for it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Fat Hen

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 22:24 »
Aw :!:   Grannieannie, all them lovely chucks, wish i'd the space.

Midwife

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 20:09 »
Well done Gazza! I wish I could take some but short on space. :(
Proud to be a 100% qualified, caring, encouraging, one more push, reassuring Midwife!

xx
Battery hen welfare Trust

Started by Viv on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 16:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Chicken welfare

Started by jhub on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 13:10
by Prod
xx
hen rescue trust

Started by rogersimons on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 20:06
by rogersimons
xx
The Domestic Fowl Trust

Started by retribution on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 16:20
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 29 queries.