RECYCLING SOIL

• 18 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
RECYCLING SOIL
« on: November 19, 2007, 22:25 »
I have now been working the allotment for just over a year and I have several big pots and baskets of compost/ soil which was used for growing tomatos, carrots etc.

My question is how to use the winter to prepare this soil for planting things in the spring.

Should I do something to sterilise it eg with Domestos or Jeyes Fluid?
Or just mix it in with other soil in a raised bed and let the winter do the work?
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

muntjac

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 22:28 »
you leave it out ij the cold then come spring you go to my

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8533&highlight=john+innes+mix

the mix will just add to your compost :wink:
still alive /............

Sally A

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 22:31 »
As I'm in quite clay soil I was planning on using last years compost from pots in a trench to raise parsnips/carrots.

Would this werk fer me?

muntjac

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 22:43 »
absolutly ... any compost soil stuff you save can be reinvigorated  :wink:

gobs

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 22:47 »
Probably will do, Sally, just depends how good quality the compost was in the first place and what was in it so how depleted it is. They don't need much, so it should be all right and you can top up with a bit of feed if needed as you go.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

noshed

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 22:45 »
What exactly is "sharp builders sand" ? They don't seem to keep it in B&Q and I don't want to be embarrassed when going to a more rufty-tufty establishment. Can you buy it by the bag? What do you ask for? How much is it?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mkhenry

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 22:49 »
Quote from: "noshed"
What exactly is "sharp builders sand" ? They don't seem to keep it in B&Q and I don't want to be embarrassed when going to a more rufty-tufty establishment. Can you buy it by the bag? What do you ask for? How much is it?

Its a term used to discribe a type of sand. It is in common use and readly available in B@Q in small bags or in bulk 1 ton approx bags
No need to feel silly it is like asking for a bag of sugar,no one will turn a hair. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

shaun

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 22:51 »
grit sand/washed sand/sharp sand/concreting sand they are all the same noshed, no salt and no lime,your normal red builders sand is no good noshed,try travis perkins or jewson B&Q are ok for wallpaper and paint :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

noshed

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 22:53 »
Thanks, I will make enquiries.

mkhenry

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 22:58 »
Quote from: "shaun"
grit sand/washed sand/sharp sand/concreting sand they are all the same noshed, no salt and no lime,your normal red builders sand is no good noshed,try travis perkins or jewson B&Q are ok for wallpaper and paint :wink:

Shaun I bought some last month in B@Q. £2 99 a bag.
True if you need a lot then a BM is the best,I find Wicks are ok and cheap enough.

Some people find some BMs a little intimidating if they are not used to them. :lol:  :wink:

shaun

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 23:02 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Some people find some BMs a little intimidating if they are not used to them. :lol:  :wink:

dont know what your onabout henry there a lovely bunch of lads in our travis when you can find one of them  :wink:

mkhenry

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 23:18 »
Quote from: "shaun"
Quote from: "mkhenry"

dont know what your onabout henry there a lovely bunch of lads in our travis when you can find one of them  :wink:

Yer but you now know them very well,and are on first name terms etc.

For those who hardly ever venture past the towering portals it can be a little tense.
A bit like walking into a strange restaurant and not knowing how much they charge. Once you have done it,its easy. :lol:  :wink:

noshed

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 10:38 »
It is true that I managed to buy some blue water pipe in Jewsons but I didn't know where to park the car for fear of being hit by a lorry and then I didn't realise you were supposed to show your docket to the man at the gate on the way out. We had a lovely chat before I realised he wasn't just being friendly.

gobs

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 14:07 »
Quote from: "noshed"
It is true that I managed to buy some blue water pipe in Jewsons but I didn't know where to park the car for fear of being hit by a lorry and then I didn't realise you were supposed to show your docket to the man at the gate on the way out. We had a lovely chat before I realised he wasn't just being friendly.

I hope it wasn't something serious. Or are you joking? :?

noshed

RECYCLING SOIL
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 10:50 »
And indeed it is true - sharp send is sold in B&Q for £3 something a bag and it even talks about seed compost on the bag.
So I will be able to buy it without embarrassment. (I did have to go to the big shop, not the little one on Lea Bridge Road.)

xx
Potato Bag Soil-Recycling!?

Started by Dreadmeister on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 09:26
by Mitsy
xx
Recycling

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 18:33
by Elcie
xx
Recycling seeds

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 19:02
by azubah
xx
Recycling Bags

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 11:59
by Roll Roll

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 29 queries.