introduced new chucks

• 3 Replies

bullielover

introduced new chucks
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:50 »
Hi all
I,ve recently introduced 4 new chucks to my original 6. The new ones are in the same pen but fenced off so they can see each other but can,t make contact.
I have so many questions but am unsure of what to do for the best. All the new ones are severely bullied when i try to let them mix, mainly by my cream leg bar who was bottom of the original pecking order. The leg bar will jump on their backs and try to pin them down and start pecking. I have not left them unsupervised so far and a water bottle has been great to stop attacks.

1.   Am I being too soft and should just leave them to sort it out !!!
 2.  Should I try letting them free range together or will this just take the problem     outside the pen !!!
 3. My own girls all sleep on the coop roof in summer but i,ve been putting the new girls in on their own, is this right !!!

Help, I never expected the introduction to be so difficult.
My pen is 12ft by 12ft with approx a third penned off for the new girls

thanks in advance for any replies
catherine

bantam novice

Re: introduced new chucks
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 15:40 »
Hello there  :)

I am not an expert but my instinct would be to let them sort out their own pecking order.  I have read that if you intervene you can slow the process up.  I know that it can look quite nasty.

If you have kept them apart long enough for quarentine (two weeks) then I would let them free range together.  Outside there should be plenty of space for the new girls to get away if they need to.

Just have plenty of eating and drinking stations so that they can have access to food and drink and have the purple spray ready.

I read that a few old branches in the ranging area can provide cover for them if necessary.

If your new girls are happily perching in the coop at night I would leave it as it is.

Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 20:35 »
we recently introduced one new hen to our three (who had always behaved very kindly to each other to this point)  I felt so sorry for her as the others were dreadful to her for about six weeks (same behaviour that you describe).  they never actually drew blood but she sounded in pain when they pecked at her, they chased her away from food and wouldn't let her be with them.  We realised we had to let them sort it out and they are all fine now.  Having more than one feeder helped and ensuring the hen could get away from the others is important.  They still dont sleep together (she has four new chicks to keep her company) so that will be the next challenge!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:40 »
We had to introduce 2 new one recently and kept them apart in the run and coop. After a while we let them free range together under close supervision. It wasn't very pleasant but sure it was better as we were there to intervene. After about 4 days things improved dramatically I think because they were on neutral ground. Then we removed the divide but had branches and even a box in there so they could hide. Not saying they didn't get pecked but there was no bloodshed.
We knew we had cracked it when they were all mixed up on the roost bar in the coop rather than oldies one end and newbies the other .
They are a real family now and always hang round the garden together and they have only been together 3 weeks

xx
Introduced new hen - squabbles!!

Started by Catt on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 18:15
by Catt
xx
New Ex Batts Introduced to the girls !!

Started by Alby on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 18:20
by Alby
xx
introduced new hens now have chest rattle

Started by chasingmytail on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 23:33
by SnooziSuzi
xx
I WANT TO KEEP CHUCKS?

Started by sydlin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 17:13
by calli

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 29 queries.