Introduced new hen - squabbles!!

• 8 Replies

Catt

Introduced new hen - squabbles!!
« on: August 15, 2009, 17:51 »
Hi

I am hoping for some advice please.

I had two hybrid hens that I brought together almost 18 months ago. Last Wed one of them was taken by Mr Fox (sob) so Snowy (Sussex White Star) was on her own. I am getting 2 ex batts the end of Aug, but in the meantime brought aother hybrid to keep Snowy company.

Snowy is really aggressive with the new hen and runs at her and pecks her really hard! I feel awful watching it! I only have one coup and the new hen is reluctant to go in there, so I have to physically pick her up and put her in, but she really panics when I do this. I put her on the rosting bars, as Snowy sleeps in the nesting box. I was almost in tears last night having to put the new hen in with Snowy as I could tell she was scred, but only having one coup I don't know what else to do! Although Snowy was snoozing in the box when I put Amber away last night she came runni at her and i had to pick her up to stop Snowy pecking her!

I would be glad of any advice, they have been together a week now and no improvement - Oh and my neighbours hens come in to my garden all the time and Snowy is fine with them!

Do you also think things might get better when i get my ex batts and the new Hen (Amber by the way!) isn't the newest?!

Despite this I love my new hen she is so tame and loving, and adores my dogs! thanks in advance!!

nzdunn

Re: Introduced new hen - squabbles!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 20:25 »
When i put my two newbies in with my maran, all hell broke loose trust me but i left them too it as the pecking order has to be established, it isnt nice to watch i know were you are coming from and you really do feel for them but its something they have to sort out themselves, give them time im sure it will calm down, shes just has to except her new friend, gees you think she would be grateful that you got her a friend considering the loss of your other one, they can be funny * sometimes carnt they.   Nickyx

pushrod

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 23:33 »
you will probably find that the 2nd hen (amber) becomes just as big a bully as snowy is now when you next introduce more. Hens are never pleased to meet new companions in their coop. The only way i manage bloodless inroductions is by confusing them as to who is the owner of the coop by moving th established ones out first. But since you only have one coop i think you will have to watch some serious pecking. Hopefully not too much damage will be done but it can be bad. Putting them together only on neutral territory (the lawn) might help.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

anton3181

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:50 »
Hello There things will get better,

I've just introduced two new hybrids about four weeks ago, to two established hens. I thought they would'nt fight but they did. So first of all i let the old out in to the garden and put the new in the run, so they could  get used to it for a few hours.  When they came back together all hell broke loose,the old ones went for them pecking big chuncks of feathers out. So i put a plastic fence between them to separate them  but so they culd see each other ,food and water each side, an old rabbit hutch for them to sleep in. Just so they can get used to seeing each other. I then found that the older hens thought that the new ones food was better and would pace up and down the fence most annoyed.

After a few nights i placed the new with the old when they were roosting as they wont fight at night. Then separate again in the morning after about a week of this mix them together there will still run at the new ones mainly about food but there ok now and seem to get on o.k best of luck.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:03 »
I had to introduce 1 hen to my previous 2.  There was a lot of chasing and pecking but it was all resolved by 10 days .  They are best mates now.  I saw a tip of putting a bucket on it's side for the new hen to retreat into, may be worth a try.  Good luck
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:16 »
I had to introduce 1 hen to my previous 2.  There was a lot of chasing and pecking but it was all resolved by 10 days .  They are best mates now.  I saw a tip of putting a bucket on it's side for the new hen to retreat into, may be worth a try.  Good luck

This may be a good tip, I don't know, but I would be concerned about the retreating hen being cornered in the bucket.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:36 »
I think it goes in, turns around and can fend off the attack from that position.  In my experience agressive hens peck the other as it retreats, not if it's facing it.  When I had the problems the one being chased used to get through the pop hole and face out.

mollie15

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 13:58 »
I am having the same problem myself!  I have had 4 hybrids for over a year now, they are the sweetest things ever, or so I thought until today!!   I purchased 2 Speckeldys yesterday and popped them into the coop after dark last night, I was up extra early this morning to let them out and the 4 originals came out first and then eventually one new one came out and all hell broke loose!!!  all four originals flew at her pecking and squawking it was horrible!!!The poor Speckledy went back in the coop and stayed there for over 2 hours, when she tried to come out again the same happened, she is now back in the coop(the other new one hasnt been out at all).  Not sure whether to let them get on with it or should I separate them?

Catt

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 18:15 »
Thanks so much for all your advice, I love hearing your hen stories too!! ha ha! before I had chickens, I must admist, I had them purely for eggs and thought they would be quite dull but I am SUCH a convert, they really have their own personalities I am smitten!

All has calmed down now, and this afternoon it has been really warm here in Dorset and they were side by side in the dirt bath in the shade! My neighbour has 4 large black hens who come into my garden (she only feeds pellets while mine get sweetcorn, melon, grated cheese - yes I spoil them!) to *help* my hens eat their food and funnily enough her hens pick on my 'old' hen and take no notice of my new one at all!

Actually, while I am here, my old hen, Snowy the Sussex White is moulting (id that the right term with hens?) and the garden, her coup, everywhere is covered in feathers! Is it normal for her to lose this many? she has stopped laying aswell which I think is to be expected?

thanks again!

Catt xox

xx
introduced new chucks

Started by bullielover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 07:40
by gracie
xx
New Ex Batts Introduced to the girls !!

Started by Alby on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 18:20
by Alby
xx
introduced new hens now have chest rattle

Started by chasingmytail on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 23:33
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 36 queries.