Help identifying and pruning a Honeysuckle.

• 6 Replies

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
Help identifying and pruning a Honeysuckle.
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:04 »

Hey guys,

My parents garden has a Honeysuckle scrambling up an arch. Its probably about 10 years old and has never been pruned. There seems to be a lot of scraggly, woody bits to it and it produces almost no leaves or flowers.

I want to reinvigorate it to become more productive, but not sure which species / variaty it is ... and so can't look up how and when to prune it.

Any ideas?

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Help identifying and pruning a Honeysuckle.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:34 »
If it's a climber rather than a shrub, and deciduous rather than evergreen the odds are it's a Belgica type rather than a Japanese variety like Halliana (there are many other varieties but those two are very common.)

They can be pruned to within 2 feet of the ground if necessary, although depending on what you have it might not flower this year (some flower on old wood) - a general purpose feed and a mulch over the root area also helps.

(Although Belgica's flowers are prettier to my mind I replaced it with a Halliana as I preferred the all-year round foliage and I also found Belgica very prone to greenfly attack which sometimes all but killed off the flower buds.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:18 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:50 »
If, and when you get it to flower, that will help identify the variety, not just from it's appearance but from the fragrance too. Some don't have any smell of note, so that would rule some out

They are worth the effort of tidying up and you should get a good, healthy plant as long as you don't go too drastic. Once it starts romping away you can tie in to whatever it's attached to to stop it flopping about.  I put a good dollop of manure at the base of mine when it starts showing signs of growing away and getting plenty of buds

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:53 »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Its deffinately a climber, as its scrambling over an arch.

There is lots of old wood but very few leaves (and no flowers). However, the leaves that are their have survived all winter ... if this helps narrow it down?

Would you say trimming it back to just the main parts around the arch (its very over grown and scraggly) and giving it a good feed would help? I know sometimes pruning at the wrong time of year can be disastorous for some plants.

- Gary.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:14 »
I think yours needs renovation rather than just tidying up given that it seems to be struggling to deliver the goods.

Cut it back to a minimum of 2', give it a sprinkling of general fertiiser, mulch, then wait to see what happens. Early spring is the recommended time.

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage what variety it is - you will have more clues when it flowers (i.e. early or late, scented or otherwise, flower colour.)

If it is a Dutch variety like Belgica (yes, confusing innit!) as I mentioned previously it seems to be an aphid magnet. A friend of mine had to give up on one which consistently succumbed to them to the extent the flowers never opened. It's possible the aphids may have transmitted a virus too, although I don't know how common that is with honeysuckles.

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 13:06 »

Right, will give it a good hard prune, feed and mulch over the weekend and see what happens.

Watch this space!

(and thanks for all the help).

- Gary.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 14:06 »
Don't know where you live Hamani because you haven't put your location in your personal profile, but it certainly isn't early spring here!   ;)

Shouldn't make much difference if you do decide to prune it sooner through - honeysuckle is pretty tough stuff.

xx
Pruning Honeysuckle

Started by Truffle on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 11:28
by Truffle
xx
Pruning honeysuckle

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 23:01
by Trillium
xx
Honeysuckle

Started by RigsVilleBird on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 18:41
by sunshineband
xx
Honeysuckle

Started by Riverbecameroad on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 22:58
by Riverbecameroad

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.