First full winter with my flock....

• 8 Replies

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
First full winter with my flock....
« on: October 29, 2012, 23:30 »
Just interested in knowing... My birds are kept in a secure walk in run... As I work shifts I don't close the pop hole on the coop and as such the ladies emerge when they wake in the morning and wander around the run. I'm just conscious with the colder weather coming of cold drafts coming through the permanently open pop hole door. Has anyone else had a problem with this? My coop is a six bird coop and I have four girls in there, the walk in run is sheltered from the wind by a shed and privet hedge on two sides. Whenever I've met the girls leaving he coop in the morning it has never felt cold inside.

Many thanks for any replies... Hope your girls are well! :)
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

compostqueen

Re: First full winter with my flock....
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:12 »
You could close the door every night and let them out in the morning, or get an automated pop hole closer/opener. You'll find details of these on here on the poultry pages

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26 »
I don't close the pop holes on my coops as they are in a secure run. After having had hens live in the trees all year round and not suffering for it I don't have a problem with this. Also you do say your coop is in a sheltered area.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51 »
Thanks folks... Due to working odd shifts I can't always be there to open And close the door myself and can't justify spending my cash in the auto door system at the moment. I guess if Joyfull's birds ave previously spent all winter outside without a problem mine good be fine. Thanks for the help!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 12:27 »
if you feel the wind is liable to be blowing in the wrong direction then place some boarding/plastic sheeting etc against that side of the run  :).
Even now on the occasional night one or more of my hens will sleep in the laurels - last night it was a tiny sabelpoot and she was fine  :)

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:44 »

i don't have have a closed coop either, deliberately so they can get up and out in the mornings, the run is fully fox proof so doesn't seem necessary, no problems here  :)

Number 7

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 18:26 »
All this is good to hear as I dont close mine either and am new to all this!  We have a walk in run which is 6 feet high and is almost fully enclosed.  Will finish the total enclosure (just a small section of the roof) this weekend!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 20:17 »
I well remember my first winter with our chickens :ohmy:

When the snow came and it was horribly cold and I was so worried for my poor cold girls.

I woman handled half a bale of straw down to the the run and carefully stacked it around the run to make a cosy cave for the girls. It took me ages and I had freezing cold fingers and nose. >:(

Before I had shut the gate on the run the ungrateful little devils had pulled down my carefully made warm cave and scattered the straw all over the run.

I cooked some jacket potatoes too in the garage microwave and gave them to the girls while they were still warm. They turned their beaks up at them and left them to get cold before devouring them.

I returned to the warmth of the house and steaming hot shower vowing to let them get on with it from then on. Which I have done ever since and they are fine. :D

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 08:24 »
I kept my hens with the coop door open and over the last 2 winters we have had 3 nights down to -18 degrees and they have been fine. Do vaseline their combs to protect from frostbite. Also be aware that they need to 'fill' their coops eg a coop designed for 9 birds may not be warm enough with only 3 birds in! Ambient heat from their bodies is important. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 19:31
by smiler43
xx
Age to add to flock

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 21:20
by ANHBUC
xx
Flock mix

Started by VickyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 20:59
by ANHBUC
xx
Shall I add to my flock????

Started by Carla on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 18:30
by Carla

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 30 queries.