Whats best

• 5 Replies

DenisW

Whats best
« on: November 08, 2008, 14:15 »
Last year we decided to start a little herb garden which was quite successful especially our chives and coriander
Next year we would like to grow our own chillies but due to space restrictions they would have to be grown in pots
can anyone advise me on the best (and hottest) that can be grown successfully in this country
I am in the North of England
Thanks in advance

compostqueen

Whats best
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 14:49 »
they do well in pots  :D

I've grown a hot one this year Lemon Drop I think it's called but you can buy the seed of any of the burn your tongue off variety if you so wish  :D  they all need some cover. Mine grew on the plot in one of those plastic cheapo growhouses  :D

you can get the Naga Jolokia from Simpson's Seeds. This is HOT HOT HOT+ so be warned it's not for the faint hearted.  

I wouldn't grow it if you're not accustomed to them. Chillies of this heat would be awful if eaten by unsuspecting pets or children so you have to be very careful

Parsnip

Whats best
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 15:25 »
Thats how I grew mine this year ( for the first time) I had two sorts Jalopeno and hot red chilli that I bought from Wyevale Garden centre, the hot ones were the most successful the yield has been brilliant, the plant is sitting on my windowsill in the kitchen  now and looks really pretty too :D

I made some thai red chilli paste with some of the chillis yesterday, but had to throw it away - I  didn't read the recipe right and put a tablespoon of salt in rather than a teaspoon :roll: ..

compostqueen

Whats best
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 17:06 »
doh  :lol:

I do things like that - often  :oops:

SG6

Whats best
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:45 »
I have often wandered to the chilli fiesta at Westdean, down in Sussex.  Simpsonsseeds.co.uk are usually there and they have a good range.

I would agree with CQ and avoid the naga variety, too hot for anything useful, like cooking and eating, and you don't want to touch your eye or anything else afterwards.

Have grown 2 plants from birdy-eye chilli's that I had from the supermarket. :D  :D

Mash Mad

• Experienced Member
Whats best
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:25 »
I grew a make called apache. I normaly grow my chillis in pots in the green house, VERY HOT!! They were only small chillis. Next year im going to try to grow bigger ones.

xx
whats best/

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2007, 21:19
by celtbhoy
xx
Whats this?

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 22:38
by Swing Swang
xx
whats best

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 18:10
by flowerlady
xx
Whats up

Started by taytors on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 20:10
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 28 queries.