New Start

• 6 Replies

Milly

• Experienced Member
New Start
« on: January 08, 2011, 19:21 »
I'm moving house this week so a whole new start. The new place has a lot of outside space, a few apple trees, a railway carriage in the garden I can utilise as a potting shed and a couple of big out buildings for I dont know what yet.

I want to take my time and plan things, see where the sunny/shady parts are and what to grow where so I'll probably be growing in pots until I make any permanent decisions. I wont have a greenhouse to start with but there is a large heated conservatory, does anyone else utilise a conservatory for starting seeds off.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New Start
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 20:37 »
Good luck with the move, and they do say leave a garden for a year to see what you've got.

I can't see a problem with using the heated conservatory so long as it gets a decent amount of light (which, by definition, I'd expect it to)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 20:42 »
I have heard of people actually growing bush toms and chillies in a conservatory - would imagine that there are lots of things that you could grow especially as it is heated. Good luck with the move and good gardening. Like the sound of the railway carriage.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 21:36 »
Sounds like you have a wonderful new place to start growing! The conservatory will be great for growing.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 22:06 »
I am in a similar situation - I moved house about 6 months ago and have been waiting until spring to start on the garden. Meanwhile I have been offered a new allotment 5 minutes walk away, I will be  ordering a greenhouse soon too. I have a conservatory and fully intend to use it to chit potatoes and  start seeds in.  :D It's very exciting, but frustrating as it's too cold and early to start anything yet  :(
Rachael

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 22:11 »
I only have a little garden, and also have a lottie.  All the stuff that dosn't get up there (a few tomato plants and a couple of squashes) get kept in the conservatory to grow- they get the best tlc possible, and the squashes still generally die  :( :(  but the chickens LOVE the toms :)
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 00:28 »
My wife is very tolerant of the forest that our conservatory becomes in the Spring. Its not heated but, being attached to the house, does not get the same night min temperatures that the greenhouse does.

Heating would be a nice luxury:), but you may only need to use heat to stop the night temperature going below 10C. When light levels are low plants won't grow much, and as the light levels increase the day temperatures will not require any additional heat :)

xx
Should I start again with my veg?

Started by Sharon Cox on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2020, 09:08
by mumofstig
xx
What can I start on now??

Started by Cheryl B on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 23:01
by Zippy
xx
hi where do i start ?

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 10:36
by johnathome
xx
Where to Start

Started by chuckmad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 11:27
by VeggieVirgin

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 32 queries.