Group purchase of large amounts of muck

• 6 Replies

Cabbie37

Group purchase of large amounts of muck
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:20 »
On the site where I have my allotment, we have always been well served by a local chap who kept pigs and cattle on a small scale. Sadly, he died this summer and we are all struggling to find a new source nearby. There are one or two likely free sources we could tap, but for each individual to go with a couple of bags to fill would be a messy approach for all concerned. What i am thinking about is a scheme where members could commit themselves to bying a certain amount, the Society hires a grab and go wagon to get a bulk load, then hires and a tractor and trailer to deliver individual loads around the site from the back of the wagon. I'm being met with a certain amount of 'dubiousness' from the Committee on my idea, so I wondered whether anyone here did anything similar and how it works? Pitfalls, costs etc etc would all be good things to hear about...

Many thanks in advance for any contribution...

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: Group purchase of large amounts of muck
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:34 »
find a farm that will deliver we paid 35 per 4-5 tonne load and then its barrow time

monkeygee

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 14:09 »
we used to do it at my old allotment site but it was a case as already stated , get the barrow out , as your in cambs may be worth enquiring at newmarket, you may get lucky and they want rid of it
know a little but learn a lot every day

noshed

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 17:13 »
We get it free because Bywaters have the contract to dispose of it from various stables and they're always looking for places to dump it. Mcgrath's do the same. We usually tip the driver though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 21:55 »
We used to have a local lad with a 35cwt transit tipper used to pick it up from the local stables. He got it for free and charged us £15 per load tipped by the gate of each plot. We got about 1 ton for the price. After that it was barrow time. Haven't seen him this year so I got my own trailer and I help myself from the stables about a mile from the plot.

Cabbie37

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:01 »
Thanks for all the replies so far, food for thought. It seems no-one has runs the sort of scheme I have in mind. Apparently, my Society, in the dim and distant past, made a bulk purchase of muck, but people abused the the system and helped themselves to the giant pile that was left, without paying for it  :( Hence their nervousness....

savbo

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:07 »
we tend to get together in small groups and buy a load (~3 tonnes) for about £35 and then barrow like mad. I bought a load for myself and it nearly killed me...

I suppose it comes down to how much people would be paying for their share, but if you can drop it at each plot by machine (no chance on our site with 3' paths) it's got to be worth a few quid

savbo

xx
So where do you get large amounts of Compost/bark chippings?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 20:32
by richyrich7
xx
Cow muck instead of Horse muck

Started by MARROW HEAD on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 22:32
by compostqueen
xx
Blueberry bushes (purchase of)

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 17:11
by Paul Plots
xx
Planning 2010 seed purchase

Started by ziggy66 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 09:07
by madcat

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 35 queries.