If they look like cherries does that mean they are cherries?

• 8 Replies

Nickchick

Hi there

I have got some large trees in my garden that have very dark red leaves on them.  They are dropping what look like cherries.  What are the chances that they are edible?  I am reluctant to try them as I don't fancy the after effects if they are not  :blink:

Thanks

Nichola

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
If you do try them .. make sure you have plenty of loo roll in  :lol: sorry a picture would help  ;)

penance

Do NOT eat anything unless you are sure that they are edible!

Dark leaves does not sound like the average cherry tree at this time of year.

savbo

a few ornamental cherries have purply foliage, so I would be looking to see if the leaves are spearhead-shaped and toothed, and if the bark has horizontal lens-shaped marks on it...if so it's prob a cherry - but poss not an edible one. Bird cherry fruits are too hard and sour. You could bite one and see what it's like but I'd check the tree out with a good tree guide like Roger Philips or the Collins Guide

And amnyway, birds always seem to eat edible cherries just before they're ripe enough to pick...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
cut one open to have a look...... surely you can recognise a cherry and stone, once it is cut.
If you are sure it is a cherry taste a little bit of one.........if you don't like the taste....then spit it out.
Simple really

compostqueen

I've got the same in my garden. Not been here long and so it's the first time I've seen them crop. We tried them and they're lovely (huge trees so loads very high up) The birds are fighting over them all day  :D  Ours are yellow and red.  I gave the hens one apiece (minus the stone obviously)  They enjoyed them very much. Didn't give them any more though

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
These actually sound  more like wild plums than cherries. These often have dark red leaves, but the leaves are much smaller than cherry tree leaves and less toothed.

Mumofstig's suggestion is sound and won't poison you, so ..... give 'em a go  ;)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rivkele

• vo quartet
These actually sound  more like wild plums than cherries. These often have dark red leaves, but the leaves are much smaller than cherry tree leaves and less toothed.

I agree. I have a tree in my garden with dark red leaves and it has teeny tiny plums on it. Either a wild plum or an ornamental one, i'm thinking.
rebecca:-)

Salmo

It could be an ornamental crab apple. Dark red leaves, dark red blossom and dark red fruit the size of cherries.

Cut one open. If it has a stone it is a cherry. If it has an apple like core it is a crab

xx
Cherries

Started by Andymack on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2006, 12:52
by yewtreemob
xx
About seven cherries!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 14:31
by Trillium
xx
cherries

Started by ruby400 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 23:20
by Trillium
xx
Maggots in cherries

Started by ghost61 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2017, 09:13
by Dr_Pepper

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 37 queries.