new to chickens, DIY run? Free range on allotment? OUr cat's a killer

• 8 Replies

boybrown

Hi Folks,

I'm embarking on chicken keeping (3-4) and am excitedly nervous about the whole thing. I have my chicken arc ready and am going to keep them over on the allotment.  I want them to have as much freedom as is possible without becoming a tasty fox snack or my cat. I'm sorry to have to ask multiple questions but any advice would really be gratefully received.
1stly....my cat Colin's favourite hobby is eradicating local wildlife, i'm surprised he's not tried to drag the neigbour in yet to be fair. is there any tips for introducing them and let him know that the new additions are not for him!
2nd. I want to extend the arc by making a run, i've got some 2"x2" but this seems rather heavy and am wondering if other people have used 2"x1"?  A side issue is the type of mesh I need to use?? (I really need it to be portable).
3rdly...is it realistic to have them free range on the allotment and what precautions would I have to take..Are chickens naturally houdini's or does thick hedge put them off trying to leave the premises. Our allotment is right beside a busy road so foxes do not usually emerge until night time (when our cherubs should be safely stashed) and hopefully the local cat population will not decide that they 'feel like chicken tonight'!  Has anyone done this on their allotment.

I really want them to be happy so would welcome people's experiences on 'run vs free range' and tips on the construction of the run (in the winter this will be needed as I come back from work after dark)

Cheers  Tom :o)

p.s can't believe that i'm so nervous about this, I've been with my other half 17 years, have two kids and a mortgage yet the responsibility of chickens is tipping me over the edge haha   :)

Casey76

Morning :)  Welcome to the site.  How exciting you are getting your first chickens :D

How big is the wildlife your cat usually takes?  My cats love chasing the wild birds and go mad for mice/voles etc, but are scared of my chooks and will even let the little ones alone, so it may not be as traumatic as you think - though i would definitely keep them in the ark for a few days just to be on the safe side.

I have used 2x1 (well, at least the metric equivalent lol) and made separate "hurdles" approx 6'x3'  Even with weldmesh they are light enough to carry around easily so I can move the run around (or even make it different shapes ;) ).  if you attach some eyelets on the short sides, you can run a sturdy bamboo cane through them for tethering purposes (or cable ties work, but if you are moving your run a lot then you will use quite a few)

Realistically I doubt it would be feasible to have them free ranging over the entire allotment unless your plot is securely fenced on all 4 sides. Chickens will play havoc with newly sprouted plants and with make dust baths in newly turned over soil and i don't think your neighbours would appreciate it somehow lol.  Chickens can be quite happy in a run, whether permanent of movable.  And, yes, some chickens are veritable houdinis!  I have to keep going back and patching my boundry fence as they keep finding more places to sneak through!

Jeanette

If there is a way to go through something then a chicken will find it and will tell all her mates about it as well. As far as the fox only being around at night once they know chickens are about they will come in the day as well. I thougt that foxes only come out at night till one came in the afternoon and took all my girls, so please if a fox is around keep the chickens in a fox proof run the chickens will be just as happy give them some greens from your allotment and they will love you forever. Bury some wire into the ground of the run then the foxes cant dig through.

birds in a basket

Both my cats are killers - mice, voles, baby rabbits (yuk) but are not bothered about the chickens.  Tasha backed off all the way down the garden and watches from a distance and Merlin decided in true Garfield fashion to be totally nonchalant about this intrusion of his space and leaves them well alone.  I know all cats are different and what they might do freaked me out more than what the dogs (who now guard them!) would do but so far touch wood everything is ok.  Two of my girls are quite fiesty and I am sure would not let the cats get a look in anyway - they have been given permission to deliver a good peck if they do!!   :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
My two sadly too are killer cats.  I too was worried when I got my chickens, but within a couple of months the chickens had sized them up, and will now see them off if they try to go near.  In fact, one of the girls nicked a mouse off the cat in the garden just a couple of weeks ago, so we know who's in charge!:D

birds in a basket

Woh Maccbean - howz that for cheek!  Love it  :lol: :lol: :lol:

boybrown

Aah good comments so far folks and I really appreciate the replies. Got the Coup up and also the wood and mesh for the run. Got the feed so ready to roll.  Still worried about the cat....not helped by just finding the claw of a racing pigeon in my raised beds, complete with tag. What was left of the feathers in my dad's allotment next door!!!!  going to get them tomorrow  :)

birds in a basket

Good luck!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
good luck with the chicks. dont forget to cover top off run as foxes climb as well as they dig. If you let them free range on plot they will eat virtually everything so maybe fence a small part of for them!!!!!!!!

xx
Letting my chickens free range

Started by eggsfactor on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 22:50
by hillfooter
xx
How much space do chickens need if they are not free-range?

Started by chrisholmes on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:34
by Flowerpower136
xx
Is it safer to let my chickens free range in the winter?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 07, 2012, 16:41
by splash101
xx
free range in the allotment query

Started by slurp on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 19:44
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 34 queries.