Letting my chickens free range

• 15 Replies

eggsfactor

Letting my chickens free range
« on: January 18, 2011, 21:45 »
We have only had our 3 chickens since Christmas and think we are doing ok- today we had our full quota of eggs! At present they are confined to a fenced area and locked in every night. I was thinking though in the summer it would be great to allow them into the garden but how do I know they wont roam further, get them back or worse go out on the road adjacent ? thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Letting my chickens free range
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 21:48 »
mine free range all the time - they go down the bridleway and into the farmers fields. I have lost one to being run over by a passing vehicle. Your main concern though should be regarding foxes.
Staffies are softer than you think.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:28 »
They will wander.  Mine would head off down the road as a group, which isn't too bad as I live in a cul-de-sac.  I'd bribe them with a grape and they would all toddle back.

Wouldn't risk them straying if I was near road.

SamnElla

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 17:57 »
They know where they sleep-they'll be back, our girls generally go out for a wander en masse, but they'll pop back occasionally just to check all is o.k at home.
They can also tell the time and know what time they get their afternoon corn.
If you get them used to something, like a rattling can with corn in it that you give to them as a treat, you'll see how fast a chicken can run when you want them home .
It's all good in da wood

Chicken star

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 18:35 »
Chickens will always wonder it's in their nature however they do tend to stay in a flock. I was really worried about letting my chooks out but late summer i decided that i shouldn't stop them from doing things which is natural for them. Therefore i moved them out of my garden and up to the very top of my field which is enclosed in. I now have the coop and about an 18m run fenced next to my stables, which i do open the door to so they have the full run of half the field (about 4 1/2 acres) They love it i've never seen them happier. However you don't need as much room as i do a small -medium sized garden is perfect too. They'l appreciate anything they have. Regarding vehicles, there's nothing you can really do about stopping them going on to the road unless you enclose your garden. Generally though most chickens stay away from moving vehicles and stick to the verges of the road where there is grass. The one thing that you can do before you let your chickens free range is clip their wings. Many people don't believe in it however i have 3 with clipped wings as they like to roost in trees through out the day (strange birds) and my other 10 aren't clipped and they're fine.

There's quite a lot to read haha but i hope this has helped.

rachelr

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 19:06 »
I have a large back garden and the only problems i had with the free ranging was I have now no got any flower beds and also when the hens were new they had not learnt to return for their treats so tracking them down was hard word.

They will sneak next door for her bread she puts out for the birds but they come straight back when i call them they love their treats lol

I started letting them out for an hour at a time and then let them out for longer and longer periods.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 22:11 »
As mine free range I don't wing clip - this way they can fly to safety if they need to although because of this I have 14 who live in the trees  ::)

rachelr

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:11 »
Joyful what i wanna know is how on earth you manage to climb the trees to retrieve the eggs lol :D

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:32 »
 :lol: :lol:, luckily some go into the coops to lay but the others I have to track down (and not always successfully  :().

jamima

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 15:55 »
Mine free range in the large back garden , had one  mischeivous one that kept getting out so after the third attempt i clipped her wing she never did it again . :)

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:53 »
As mine free range I don't wing clip - this way they can fly to safety if they need to although because of this I have 14 who live in the trees  ::)

I agree if you are going to give them a lot of freedom by free ranging don't wing clip then they stand a chance against foxes. Otherwise they are handicapped and will have no chance of escape from a fox.

Unfortunately the green cross code is beyond them.

HF
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:55 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 06:49 »
i let mine all out into the garden  the seramas dont  stray  more than a few yards away from the coop, but the silkies go looking for goodies all round the garden , none  of them have clipped wings as they are not flighty birds

julieboydell

my free range chickens
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 19:43 »
i've got 5 chickens (that i love dearly), i've had them since september and they are free range at the back of our house on some spare land,  its sort of like a meadow and they've always been really happy and at dusk without fail every evening they come back to their coop.

tonight though I went to see if they were back (they always stay together) and 2 of them are missing, i fell really really upset and worried - its dark now i can't see them - i've looked all over - does anyone think there might be any chance that they may come back?   

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 20:27 »
Hi Julie, I've just answered in your other thread that there is always a chance they will come back after having explored a bit further afield.  Fingers crossed for you.

pigeonpie

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 20:53 »
Some of my girls wander and some of them stay at home.  They have about an acre of garden and orchard which is surrounded by hedging and stock fencing but a few of them still find ways out.  One in particular takes herself off regularly for jaunts around the village even though the garden and orchard back on to fields.  Another one used to take herself over to the next door neighbours to hang around looking cute outside their patio doors until they fed her and clearing up the debris from the wild bird feeders.  She said thank you by laying in their garden!

xx
Concerns about letting the girls free range

Started by Jacinta on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 07:31
by gracie
xx
How much space do chickens need if they are not free-range?

Started by chrisholmes on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:34
by Flowerpower136
xx
Is it safer to let my chickens free range in the winter?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 07, 2012, 16:41
by splash101
xx
new to chickens, DIY run? Free range on allotment? OUr cat's a killer

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 23:25
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 37 queries.