Storing Vanilla Pods

• 7 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Storing Vanilla Pods
« on: May 21, 2012, 14:56 »
I was just looking at the post on homemade pancake mix and the comment from Dopey re vanilla paste storing better than pods ... can anyone tell me the best way to store pods?  I had some which, as instructed, I put into an airtight container but not in the fridge, but when I went back to them a couple of weeks later they'd gone mouldy!

The on-line supplier was apologetic and has sent me some posh Bourbon triple A grade ones as a replacement; however, I don't want to open them and the same thing to happen again ... any tips?

Dopey113

Re: Storing Vanilla Pods
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 17:23 »
dont wrap them in plastic, they will sweat and rot, not too sure as I have never kept them for a long time, but your better off in a paper bag (brown to keep the light from them?) and I would put them in the fridge, despite what they say, or buy the paste  ::)
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 17:25 »

Don't those trendy cooks say to stick them in a jar of sugar? ? ? 8)

Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 13:02 »

I think that's to flavour the sugar; however, it's a thought, because the sugar would obviously keep them separate and dry  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 13:52 »

I think that's to flavour the sugar; however, it's a thought, because the sugar would obviously keep them separate and dry  :)

Its what I was going to suggest, but as I haven't actually done it..... ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Dopey113

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 18:33 »
No You do that when you have used the inside of the pod, and instead of just throwing it, you can put it in your sugar (or you can still use it to cook like rice pudding or custard) it may make to sugar stick though... its still moist

soaplady

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:05 »
Hi All,

I buy Vanilla Pods in bulk from the internet, and store most of them in a kilner jar. Don't put them in the fridge or they will be ruined.

To make Vanilla Sugar, Cut about three or four pods open, and store them in your preferred sugar. A dark molasses one is lovely with a few pods in.

Vanilla Extract, Use brandy or vodka, I have both on the go, Slice open the pods, cut them up into chunks and pop them into your alcohol. Shake them well every day for a weeks or so, and then leave, shaking when you remember. After a few weeks, it will be ready to use, with lovely little seeds in. When you get low, add more alcohol and some more beans, and it will last forever. A lovely gift too.

Vanilla Powder - Cut some pods open, and leave to dry on the worktop, or dry in the oven, very gently and slowly, once dry, grind to a fine paste, and use as powder.

Vanilla paste - Use about four tbsp of vanilla powder, add two teaspoons vodka, and squeeze some glycerin into the mix to make a paste, Leave a couple of days for the flavour to develop, and then use.

Hope this helps.  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:45 »
Hi Soaplady

Do you just store the pods as they are once opened?  By which I mean do you just put them in the kilner jar without any wrapping?  Or do you wrap them in clingfilm or something?

Thanks   :)

xx
Vanilla Pods

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 20:52
by Lardman
xx
Rhubarb and Vanilla Jam - for Clairebeau

Started by Aunt Sally on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

44 Replies
Last post June 28, 2014, 13:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
what to do with pea pods

Started by WendysLot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2013, 19:34
by WendysLot
xx
storing

Started by mrsbean on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 08:27
by willp

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 35 queries.