Boys v's Girls ???

• 9 Replies

Kwakali

Boys v's Girls ???
« on: November 15, 2009, 22:44 »
Hello all.  I'm new to this forum ( great info by the way!) and  have kept chucks for a couple of  years. Have always had ex-bats, but a few months ago bought myself 4 posh chucks. 2 Black Rock, a Maran and a Cotswold Legbar.

Today I caught one of the Black Rocks treading one of the ex-bats.  He had her by the scruff of the neck with both feet planted firmly on her back.  'He' is now in another run.  The only problem is that the other Black Rock looks like 'him' and the Maran  also has a lot of wattle/comb.. so now I'm thinking that  she is also a 'he'!   (None of them are laying yet.)

I just have back yard chucks and the neighbours would not be impressed about the  noise!  I haven't contacted the place where I bought them yet as I'm not sure they they will be able to re-sell them?  So they may  just  put them for the chop, in which case I will try and re-home them.

Can anyone with knowledge of the breed please tell me if they are male or female please?  Have tried to add some pics, hopefully  this time they will work ( thanks Vember).

Thanks

Ali, Coventry

Vember

Re: Boys v's Girls ???
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 22:55 »
I might be wrong Ali as I don't have those breeds myself but the second one has the look of a boy, the neck feathers look more pointy.

Bottom one is a girl for sure :)

I'm sure others who have the breeds will be able to tell you better :)

Sarah :)

Kwakali

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 23:02 »
The second one down is the hooligan causing the fuss today!  I've put him to bed with the rest for the night, but  think I'll have to keep him apart  in the day for now! The old ex-bats can't cope with his advances! 

I'll add the other picture of my other Black Rock tomorrow, but I think  that 'she' has a very similar look about  'her' too ... oh dear!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 23:05 »
the 1st 2 pics definately look like boys to me! the pic with the 3 in look like they could all be girls! and the last one looks like a legbar hen  :D
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 00:00 »
There are no black rock cockerels!  so if she's a black rock, she is definitely a she!!!   :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:55 »
the "black rock" looks a bit like a copper black maran cockerel to me  and the first one possibly a cuckoo maran cockerel (or coucou maran).
Staffies are softer than you think.

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:09 »
your first 2 pics look like boys to me, :) we have 2 marans one has similar colourings to yours but tikka has a much smaller comb and wattles than yours. I might be wrong but im sure i read that boy cuckoo marans were much lighter than the girls which got us worried as one of ours is much lighter than the other but were  sure now shes a girl .Hopefully someone will be along to give you a more definite answer!

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 09:08 »
I'm useless on identifying breeds and sexes. I do have Cotswold legbar cockerel and he is the same colouring as the first picture - this is not definitive!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:41 »
They all look like cockerels to me apart from the Legbar, if you where sold them as hens then the breeder should replace them.
Michelle ♥♥
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Kwakali

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 16:37 »
Hello all again and thanks to everyone for their advice.   Have taken 3 of my new 4 back to the breeder for a refund.  Shame  though as they were corkers! The breeders were very surprised and said that they had never sold a cockerel to anyone before.  Bizarre really as I picked them myself out of about  40 hens!  Trust me ! 

Oh well! You live and learn.  It wasn't until they had grown those lovely neck feathers after their first moult that looked so much like a cockerel.  They were mostly black before! ( the original pics of the 3 sat together was about a month ago.) So will have to have a shop around for some new ladies.   Going to the Poultry show at the end of the month at Stoneleigh so will do some shopping for breeds I like the look of!

Thanks again!

Ali

xx
Boys or Girls

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 03:10
by chicksforkicks
xx
boys or girls?

Started by mintymoos on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 11:17
by mintymoos
xx
Boys and girls ?

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2013, 15:12
by ANHBUC
xx
Boys or Girls?? - SLW

Started by curries on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 12:06
by evie2

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 37 queries.