Growbags

• 11 Replies

garddwr

Growbags
« on: September 01, 2008, 22:12 »
Does anyone now or realised this season were was the cheapest place to buy growbags possibly in a buy of 6

lincspoacher

Growbags
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:27 »
The cheapest way to buy growbags is to go to a horticultural wholesaler  and ask for strawberry growbags. If you can chip together and pay cash for a pallet, you will get about 110 x 1 metre growbags  ( or 150 x 600mm) for about £90- £110. These bags are professional ones and knock the spots of the ones sold in garden centres. I grew tomatoes in some this year, i got huge tomatoes (but no sun to ripen them. :/  )

iwantanallotment

Growbags
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:51 »
Bags of 75L compost are also cheap @ 4 for £10.
I grow potatoes and allsorts in them, and have been more than happy at the return for £2.50 worth of growing medium per bag.
I've noticed that different stores have varying quality, though.
Focus compost was rubbish, with lots of rough, raw stuff still in it and lots of larvae. Wickes on the other hand is well broken down and fine, with relatively few larvae. As always, shopping around pays :wink:

garddwr

Growbags
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 11:12 »
were were theese bags of 75L for 4@£10 ?

johnhar

Growbags
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 20:30 »
Quote from: "iwantanallotment"
I grow potatoes and allsorts in them, and have been more than happy at the return for £2.50 worth of growing medium per bag.
Focus compost was rubbish, with lots of rough, raw stuff still in it and lots of larvae. Wickes on the other hand is well broken down and fine, with relatively few larvae. As always, shopping around pays :wink:

What did the larvae look like as there should not be any insects in the compost. If they were small round granules that cracked when they are squeezed, then it was most likely the slow release fertilizer that the makers put into the compost  :o
john

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Growbags
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 21:24 »
not sure what you were planning to grow in them but this year i bought the cheaper smaller grow bags - not the deep 75ltr ones - for my tomatoes.  but then used large plant pot, cut the bottoms out of them and put them into the grow bags to give some extra depth for the roots,  which seems to have worked really  well.

but i'm not sure what you planned to plant in them.

Lee1978

Growbags
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 21:51 »
Quote from: "iwantanallotment"

I would agree with you there, focus compost is a no no. I have heard lots of complaints about the recycled stuff they use, it has also caused a few problems for leek growers on the site who have skimped on cost.

bailey

• Experienced Member
Re: Growbags
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:10 »
can someone point me in the direction of these strawberry grobags at the price mentioned please??
 the only ones i can find are about £6.50 a bag

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:32 »
bailey, the posts that Acepam and you have replied to are from 2008, so the prices have increased a bit since then :)

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:36 »
Horticultural wholesalers sell composts and fertilisers, except they sell professional stuff, not retail stuff.

Depends where you are in the country as to where the nearest one is.

Try googling these, one must be near you.:

Monro South (south coast)
Fargro (south coast)
BHGS (worcs)
East Riding Horticulture (Yorks)
Henry Altys (Lancs)
Clydeside Trading Society (Scotland)

Then give them a ring.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14 »
Thanks Boston
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:39 »
I saw on TV ages back that Which? the magazine were doing a study on various manufacturer's compost and the results appeared to veer from excellent to nothing growing in some. I'd like to see their report.

xx
GROWBAGS

Started by JJ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 23:19
by johnfh
xx
Growbags

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 20:28
by Ice
xx
Anyone used B&M's growbags before?

Started by Bigrich on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 18:44
by alancas
xx
growbags and toms

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 21:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 39 queries.