Seed potato help please

• 4 Replies

Godfrey

Seed potato help please
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:43 »
Advice would be greatly appreciated please. I bought my seed potatoes online and they came some weeks ago packed in nets inside a cardboard box. I left them in the box and have just opened it to start them chitting to find they've put up long shoots (6-8 inches) through the nets. It's obviously going to a bit difficult getting them out of the nets and planting them without damaging these shoots so, would it be OK to break these off and then chit as normal? Thanks.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Seed potato help please
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:24 »
Those chits will be weak and white, so knock them off, get the spuds in a cool light place and let them start again to form decent ones
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:48 »
I just plonk them staight in, dont bother chitting never had a problem
I hate signatures but love irony

bigben

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 13:12 »
Unless you plan on waiting a while you probably will not have a lot of time to get decent chits before you are due to plant. I am going to get mine in this weekend, some have done so already others seem to be waiting a bit longer, mainly I think because that is when they have time off to do the planting. I would just get them in at this stage, if your chits are long and weak you will probably knock them off as you plant anyway. What you would gain by chitting you would probably lose in having to delay planting at this stage.

Godfrey

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 13:33 »
Many thanks for your help - much appreciated. I think I'll plant then as soon as I can. Can't just yet as I haven't got the ground ready - been too wet and sticky, but the last few days have improved things. Off in a few minutes to make a start!

xx
Seed potato

Started by anne coles on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 11, 2016, 07:22
by DD.
xx
seed potato

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 08:52
by JayG
xx
How many seed potato's?

Started by MidlandBrewer on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 16, 2017, 13:04
by MidlandBrewer
xx
seed potato

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 22:47
by JayG

Page created in 0.475 seconds with 36 queries.