Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

• 45 Replies

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
Re: Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 22:00 »
My brother used a big black plastic bin (about 120 litres or more I think) and cut holes for drainage. I'll ask him what variety/how many he used if you like.

I used a big black plastic bin last year (before I got my plot). I planted 6 wilja seed potatoes and it worked a treat.
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 22:31 »
I used a big black plastic bin last year (before I got my plot). I planted 6 wilja seed potatoes and it worked a treat.
[/quote]

You mean an actual plastic dustbin? Did you use it full height or cut it in half?

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 12:25 »
I used a black bin for my potatoes and it was very successful! I used the old type of household  bin and didn't cut it in half. (they aren't that tall ) I planted four seed potatoes in each.

I also used those plastic type sacks specifically designed for potatoes. I ordered mine from Marshalls with the potatoes included.

The plastic bin was more successful than the sacks. I am not sure why but I do think the sack dried out faster than the bins.  I didn't mind using bags of compost to fill my bins because I will grow a different veg in the ones I grew potatoes in this year.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/potatoes-bin-grown/

Jazz :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:27 by jazzbyrd »
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 14:49 »

You mean an actual plastic dustbin? Did you use it full height or cut it in half?
[/quote]

Yes, an actual dustbin - I just poked some holes in the bottom with a screwdriver, and filled it up with cheap multipurpose compost (I think the local garden centre were doing a deal - got enough to fill it for £5). On reflection, cutting it down would have been ok as the tubers and roots only went about halfway down. Ive still got it and Im going to chuck the rest on my plot this year as organic matter/compost. I was also going to use the same method for pumpkins but I planted them too late and the first frost killed the plant just as the fruits started to swell. :(

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 14:59 »
We had range of sizes, from largish like you mentioned to freebie Morrison pots and with one tuber in, these gave amazing yields -- 4.5 kg from 3 pots  :D :D :D

I did the same this year as an experiment. Morrison's flower tubs with one spud in each, topped up with multi compo. really pleased with the results and will be doing the same this year, only more of them, it was also less time consuming than my ground grown spuds.
For a bigger crop, use the multi compo bags that are black inside, free potato growers.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

hamstergbert

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 15:22 »
After reading suggestions on this forum, I had a go in Morrison flower buckets and cheapo MP compost outside the kitchen door.  Seed spuds were titchy ones not worth peeling from bought in taters that had started sprouting and have no idea what variety. 1 per pot into 2" and progressive earth up.  Never quite got round to feeding them at all.

Some neglect in the watering stakes knocked 'em back a little but in general very pleased.  No pests at all (20 yards from where they were to the nearest bit of proper garden so I reckon the slugs etc were simply too idle to make the trek) and while not being large (mostly between golf ball to tennis ball size) each pot provided the spuds for one meal for four adults.  The potatoes produced were remarkably clean and allowed the lazy method of simply washing them off and boiling them in their skins.  Delicious.

The final pot hasn't actually been used yet and is still there outside (foliage removed of course and allowed to dry out by having big pot upturned over it).  When the weather improves (even dryish the contents of the pot seem still rock solid) I will knock 'em out and photo. 

All in all a worthwhile experiment and one I intend to repeat.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

SG6

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 17:09 »
The best looking containers I have seen for potatoes are back in Wilkinsons.
They are not in the general garden items but in the plastic storage items.
They are large round storage containers that are a deep green with a couple of decent handles on either side.
There are bigger then most garden pots (plastic) and cost £4.

Just drill a couple of hole and that should be OK.

When I plant mine I add half a pot of compost and chicken poo pellets, stuff in the potatoes and let them grow, then earth them up to about 3/4 with more compost with a couple of handfulls of chicken pellets, let them grow a bit more, then repeat until they are full.

Potatoes are easy to get at and the old compost goes on the garden. Tend to buy the cheapo compost at  Wicks when 4 for £10.  :D :D :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 17:31 »
Yes, I tend to use the cheapest compost I can find for all my potted toms/veg and it seems to work just as well as the expensive stuff. Just tends to be a bit lumpy so you wouldn't want to use it for seeds.

Another suggestion someone gave me today was to use the super strong plastic sacks that we get horse feed delivered in. What they did was stick a bit of compost in the bottom (with drainage holes), put the spuds in and then roll the sides of the sack right down. As the spuds grew, they kept putting a bit more compost in and rolling sides up as and when needed. From that they got a v.good crop.

I do think that DD might be right though, that the bigger containers probably end up taking a lot more compost. Even in a big sack like that you'd probably only put in about 5 or 6 spuds but you'd use a heck of a lot of compost for it, whereas in a bucket with 1 spud you'd use an awful lot less. What do you reckon would be the minimum feasible height for a spud container? Maybe I'll try one or two big sacks and a few small containers and see how they compare.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 20:47 »
Yes, an actual dustbin - I just poked some holes in the bottom with a screwdriver, and filled it up with cheap multipurpose compost (I think the local garden centre were doing a deal - got enough to fill it for £5). On reflection, cutting it down would have been ok as the tubers and roots only went about halfway down. Ive still got it and Im going to chuck the rest on my plot this year as organic matter/compost.

Much the same here, drilled a few holes in the bottom of a standard domestic bin then put in the compost, planted me spuds, earthed up as needed, dug spuds out in autumn. I have done this for 4 years now with 3 bins. Results have been mixed. Depth of planting was important. To much compost in first means no spuds in the bottom half yet you have bought the compost that fills that bottom half. Planted too near the bottom makes them (for me at least) grow pale and leggy. Regular watering without swamping them helped but not every year has been good. The biggest factor has been location within my garden. The patio was the obvious choice the first year but it was not a big success seemingly not enough hours in the sun. Now they sit on the path and get lots of sun almost all day. Much better results per bin but more watering is needed. Spent compost used to go onto the garden but now it goes on the plot.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 21:35 »
After reading suggestions on this forum, I had a go in Morrison flower buckets and cheapo MP compost outside the kitchen door.  Seed spuds were titchy ones not worth peeling from bought in taters that had started sprouting and have no idea what variety. 1 per pot into 2" and progressive earth up.  Never quite got round to feeding them at all.

Some neglect in the watering stakes knocked 'em back a little but in general very pleased.  No pests at all (20 yards from where they were to the nearest bit of proper garden so I reckon the slugs etc were simply too idle to make the trek) and while not being large (mostly between golf ball to tennis ball size) each pot provided the spuds for one meal for four adults.  The potatoes produced were remarkably clean and allowed the lazy method of simply washing them off and boiling them in their skins.  Delicious.

The final pot hasn't actually been used yet and is still there outside (foliage removed of course and allowed to dry out by having big pot upturned over it).  When the weather improves (even dryish the contents of the pot seem still rock solid) I will knock 'em out and photo. 

All in all a worthwhile experiment and one I intend to repeat.

Have been to Asda today and obtained some of these containers.  Just one question - how much compost do you place in before you put your seed potato in?

Elcie

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 13:39 »
I never put much in Suzie, about 3 inches, then seed potato, then just cover them over.

My biggest problem with growing in the pots was keeping them watered.  Does anyone have any tips on keeping the soil moist in these flower buckets?

hamstergbert

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 17:24 »
I also started with about a fist-height of compost so I suppose 3 ro 4 inches.

My tip fpr keeping 'em watered is to put the pots on the path right outside the kitchen door!   Water run to get hot, cleanish rinsing water, pretty well any water that wasnt too soapy or food bits contaminated could go on the spuds when they needed it.   In between, when the availability outstripped requirement I had a small mini-water butt (cut down old chemical plastic drum) and we chuck extra water in there.   (Use it also for other things in pots in that area).

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 18:15 »
Thanks for your responses. :D

Ivor Backache

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 18:58 »
Perhaps you will allow me to encroach on this thread with a varying theme. I have received my seed potato and I have made a huge miscalculation. I have seed for 15rows instead of 10.
I have always grown early potatoes in trenches 1' apart etc and rows 2' apart etc. But now it seems Ok to put 3 about 6" apart and add another 3 higher up the bag.
What if I grew potatoes in a double decker fashion in the row? Dig out a trench 1 spit deep and put in compost. Every 1' plant a potato and then in between dig deeper and plant another potato.
The potatoes would develop on different levels and would be no more crowded than those in a bag. I expect yield would be affected but I have an extra 100 seed and this is the best ides I can think of.

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 16:14 »
Dunno, but I'd plant the extra in any pots (or bins!) you can get hold of and put them in any extra space you have.

xx
Blight resistant spuds

Started by ditchdigger on Grow Your Own

68 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 22:53
by mkhenry
xx
Spuds in buckets

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 12:38
by crh75
xx
blight in spuds

Started by diane g on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 22:08
by richyrich7
xx
Spuds and Blight.

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 00:18
by Salmo

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 33 queries.