growing green manures under organic mulch

• 0 Replies

SidReal

growing green manures under organic mulch
« on: June 29, 2009, 19:55 »
Hi there, despite my intention of following a no dig methodology, I gave up on that for the timebeing after being introduced to bindweed root.
As a result, I am conducting a full weeding out on my new and overgrown allotment space as well as forking for bindweed root, essentially leaving the soil bare. For this first year, I will be planting various green manures over the land to help protect the soil over the winter, keep weeds down ready for a nice start next year.
I want to protect exposed soil while I carry this out and with my budget I figure a hearty mulch may do the job, straw based but I imagine sterilised of seed. At the same time, I want to get the clover growing on and in this mulch - but heres the question
I know that when digging in green manure / applying compost material directly to soil, there is a 4-6 week period where this decomposition prevents or impairs germination because of chemicals released in the process... does anyone know through experience if I were to distribute soaked clover seed over the exposed soil, and put a layer of organic mulch over this seed (or the seed over the mulch) - would this be successful or might the mulch be equivalent to decaying matter and disrupt the clover from establishing

cheers for any thoughts

Tim

xx
green manures under mulch

Started by SidReal on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 11:20
by HLS
xx
still no idea about green manures on mulch...

Started by SidReal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 22:56
by SidReal
xx
Green Manures

Started by 18Forts1999 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2015, 11:04
by gremlin
xx
green manures

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 20:18
by sizer247

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 38 queries.