Where to start!

• 16 Replies

Iceburg

Re: Where to start!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 14:13 »
I took over my allotment (1/2) in August. It looks similar to yours with weeds 3 foot high in places. It is 25m x 10m. I was told it had not been touched for over 2 years.  I sprayed half with weedkiller and just started jigging up the weeds. Piling them all in the middle of the plot and then had a bonfire every so often. I did not more than 2 hours digging at a time using hte little and often approach. I finished digging completely 2 weeks ago and then used a cultivator to dig it properly. The plot looks great now with a fine tilth. I did put some Onions, Shallots and Garlic in during September and these are growing now. I also sowed some Spring Cabbage seeds. I still have weeds growing through both in the areas set but I hoe these areas and keep the weeds down. Cabbages are actually growing too which is a bonus. I have now planted some bushes - Blackcurrant, Redcurrent and Blueberry. I am looking forward to the spring when I can start to grow properly. I am sure there will be lots of weeds because as I was digging the weeds up the seeds kept spreading.

allotmentamy

Re: Where to start!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 17:01 »
I think the lasagne plan sounds good! If you wanted to strim the whole lot before covering it you can hire petrol strimmers quite cheaply from tool hire centres. There are a few things you can plant now such as garlic, so you might want to dig over a small section just to have the satisfaction of having planted something! Good luck  ;)

Yeah have garlic ready to plant so going to clear a section and get that planted that way it will give me motivaition!!

Thanks again for your comments will start when get confirmation and let you all know how its going! x

xx
new start

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 11:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
Start all over again

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 16:42
by Kristen
xx
When do I start

Started by -Cat- on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 26, 2008, 16:18
by Porffor
question
A new Start

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 21:30
by Lupin lurcher

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 32 queries.