Couch grass in my Raspberry canes - Advise please

• 10 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Couch grass in my Raspberry canes - Advise please
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:43 »
Hi , have a row of Autumn Bliss raspberry just starting to show through but mixed in is couch grass - how do I get rid without digging up the raspberries?  Use a weed killer or what?

Thanks for any tips.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
Re: Couch grass in my Raspberry canes - Advise please
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17 »
I've got the same problem. Meant to dig the canes out, remove couch and nettles roots and all, then replant canes in nice rows. Did my back in just before I got round to it and missed my opportunity for this year.

Moving them now when they are no longer dormant isnt a good idea.

Chemicals needed to kill couch will kill rasperrys as well.

So I'm sitting on my hands till next year.

Regards, WG

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:37 »
Too late to advise you that perennial crops like raspberries and asparagus should be planted in soil free of perennial weeds! Raspberries are very shallow-rooted which makes dealing with couch grass very difficult.

The best you can do is to keep carefully weeding it out as best you can; in the long term you may have to consider digging up the rasps and relocating when they are dormant again.

(A good thick mulch will help the raspberries and may make it a bit easier to keep on top of the couch by drawing it up into the mulch layer, but it won't get rid of it.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:01 »
Thanks JayG,  I thought about masking off the raspberry chutes and carefully applying a weed killer on to the couch with a brush - would this harm the chutes.  Take your point re weed free bed before planting - it was three years ago when they were planted.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:07 »
I've not got much experience of using systemic weedkillers to be honest; if it were me I'd be tempted to try that (but not on the whole row initially!)

Others may have other views, either more or less cautious!  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:55 »
I'd just keep pulling it for the summer and clear the bed in the autumn

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 13:39 »
I have the same problem...will relocate my Rasps in the autumn.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 14:40 »
Depending on how much you have, I would first gently dig out as much as you can with a hand fork - slightly loosen the soil if near the canes so their roots don't get too disturbed. For the stuff right in the canes, get a plastic milk container and cut the bottom off and place it over the dreaded couch grass (bend it if necessary) and secure with a small cane - if the grass is a bit tall, cut it down so that it doesn't protrude at the top. Mix some glyphosate weedkiller with a bit of liquid soap to help it stick onto the leaves in a small sprayer and point the nozzle down into the container top and whoosh it..! You may need to cut the top off a bit so you can get the sprayer nozzle down better, though spraying downwards can be a bit of a pain - in this case, cut a hole in the side of the container, screw the top on and do it through that. It prevents the spray drifting onto your plants and, as for me, prevents my cats accessing it for a grassy treat. Repeat process where other growth appears, depending on your supply of containers.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

simonwatson

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 15:36 »
Instead of using a sprayer, you could paint it on using an old paint brush. It's a bit more work but you'll know exactly where it's going.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 20:51 »
I get masses of couch in my raspberries too. I dig out what I can, then on a non windy day, I put the spray nozzle right up to the trouble clump and give it a short spray of glyphosphate. It's the only thing that will kill/slow down couch roots.

Staying on top of couch is the best long term solution.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 21:20 »
I have some in mine too, I just hoe it off as it appears when it is young and it doesn't seem to present too much of a problem just yet. I cleared the area really well when I planted my rasps 2 years ago, but it always seem to creep in there!

xx
Couch grass amidst blackberry canes

Started by Howlin on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2023, 14:29
by Howlin
xx
Couch grass in old raspberry row

Started by stainesbloke on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 21:00
by bravemurphy
xx
Couch Grass

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 07:56
by digby
xx
Couch Grass

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 13:55
by Junie

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 33 queries.