My wife used to say:

• 5 Replies

briandaud

My wife used to say:
« on: October 19, 2022, 20:01 »
When my wife was alive, she wanted a putting-green lawn surrounded by pretty flowers. She would have donkey-stoned the step if we'd had one. Mind you. she  had to ensure the clothes pegs were all the same colour. I'm not joking!

The front garden nowadays is a sort of mini allotment: an apple tree in the middle of the 'lawn' (i e, the grassy part - the lawn has been reduced to the size of a tablecloth). Potatoes, cabbages, lettuce, - whatever will fit, - in the borders; a compost bin in the corner and water-butts in front of the bedroom window. She would have been horrified. Potatoes in the front garden!? What will the neighbours think!?

We both came from an era in which what people thought of you was a big thing. My own mother would not even answer the door unless she had a clean 'pinny' on and her hair was tidy. I myself, as a teenager in the 60s, would never go out unless my hair was quiffed and my tie was straight. I would never have imagined that teenagers would be so lacking in self-respect that they would have nose-rings, wear torn jeans and look as scruffy as they do now.

But, I suppose I grew more tolerant of change and began to look at things differently. (aka 'grew old'). Nowadays, of course I still care about how I'm perceived: I would like to think that people would trust me, would invite me to their homes, be at ease in my company and so on . . . but I care less about it than I used to.

One of the bonuses of getting old is that people tend to make allowances. They make excuses for you. "Aw, he's getting on a bit now" or  "He is (70/80/90), you know . . ." . Some of us play on it, smiling in the background ( they think I'm stupid, so I'll let 'em think so): mind you, there are times when I do things that are so stupid I surprise even myself. I've even forgot where I was going with this . . . Oh yes, gardening.

Beat the Butterfly.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: My wife used to say:
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 21:04 »
It looks like a lovely garden to me. 

But then I have raised beds and grow fruit trees, herbs and veg in my front garden, so perhaps I am biased  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 21:05 »
It looks lovely, take no notice of the naysayers  :D

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 22:59 »
I've just bought four pairs of jeans from Cotton Traders, as they're comfortable, varied in colour, and fit a 75 year old frame pretty well! (and the old ones are for the garden/shed/DIY)!

All our friends do the same, but I can easily remember my dear sister telling me that when we were kids, our Dad wouldn't allow us to wear jeans on a Sunday! We sometimes went to church three times back then, and he'd do the three-hour service on Good Friday from start to finish!

And you tell all that to kids today, and they won't believe you!

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 11:37 »
Aww Briandaud, sorry for your loss but I’m sure your wife would be happy that you’re making the garden to suit you & that your keeping busy. It looks a lovely space to spend time in & suits your needs now. My hubby would just have 25 lorries of readymixed poured on our garden if I go before him or sell up & go in a flat lol, yet he proudly tells everyone how much we get from the allotment  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 11:06 »
Ah, the old donkey stone on the front doorsteps. I remember my nana and mum doing that, plus only using the lounge for best occasions, closing the window curtains when someone in the street died, bowing your head when a funeral cortege went past, ladies never wore trousers, and Sundays when dad used to go to his allotment for the veg. Your garden looks great so keep going as long as you take a little rest to admire what you've done.  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Urgent call from the wife...

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 18:40
by Porffor

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 36 queries.