F1 or OP?

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

F1 or OP?
« on: October 20, 2022, 11:20 »
there seems a general sense of opinion that f1's varieties are much better to grow these days than the open pollinated varieties I've found most of the seed suppliers seem to promote the F1's rather than to O/P'S is there anyone out there who still grows the open pollinated varieties and for those of you like me who favour growing the F1 varieties do you think there is a difference let's say the F1'S are a better option to grow taking into account  there is a price difference between the two F1's and O/P's

it was interesting to read in one seed catalogue that Brussels sprouts O/P's lacks the vigour and uniformity of the modern hybrid varieties do you think that's true so what's your opinion on this topic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: F1 or OP?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 12:06 »
The seed companies make more money from developing/selling F1 varieties, which explains a lot.

Some old varieties have stood the test of time and are still worth growing, plus it's easy to save seeds from some of the crop to sow next year, which seed companies don't want you to do - for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, the companies have developed some very good, disease resistant varieties - like the clubroot resistant brassicas, or rust resistant leeks, for example. However, as most are developed for the farmers, they tend to be varieties that will all crop at the same time, ready for harvesting. This may not be what an allotment grower wants, who wants all of his winter cabbages ready at the same time?

So horses for courses  :) I grow some old open pollinated varieties, but some F1s are chosen for their disease resistance,  better yield etc
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:06 by mumofstig »

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 18:27 »
F1 varieties suit commercial growers who value uniformity over all else. I find OP varieties more suitable for certain veg due to their natural variability. I don’t want a row of 10 cabbages, cauliflowers, calebrese ready at the same time. Also never really found many F1 varieties to be significantly better except maybe indoor cucumbers and Sungold tomatoes.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 11:14 »
Depends on how well the OP ones have been maintained. Some seed companies do that better than others.

As nobbie  and mumofstig mentioned it is good for us hobby gardeners to have more variability for when they come available, cabbage is a good one, or if I were to grow an f1 type then I'd make sure it is one that can stand or store for a long time. Tundra can stand for months for example

Would agree that Brussels sprouts are one veg where f1s are a lot better than the op ones I've tried at least. I've got two varieties at the moment and have started picking them and will be able to pick them probably through to February, really tight and big sprouts. When I've tried OP varieties in the past the sprouts were all variable sized and frequently blown to early.  Blown sprouts are still nice to eat but not what I want!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:16 by Snow »

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 42 queries.