Best broccoli/calabrese varieties

• 7 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Best broccoli/calabrese varieties
« on: January 12, 2011, 18:37 »
Another variable on my seed list for this year is broccoli/calabrese. I haven't grown these before but this year I have bed room to do it so I want to experiment a bit with them. For two of us I was planning on 3 or 4 plants each of autumn cropping and winter/spring cropping varieties. Given the choice, I'd rather have a nice big central head than lots of little shoots, and I'd prefer green rather than red.

Can anyone suggest good varieties for me to try? Obviously they need to be something that's going to be fairly easy to do, since they're new to me. My soil is fairly heavy clay, though the bed has had plenty of compost on it (but not manure).

paintedlady

Re: Best broccoli/calabrese varieties
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 19:23 »
heavy clay is fine  ;)

For big heads, look for calabrese - broccoli tend to be the "shoots" that you refer.  A couple of years ago I was given some spare calabrese plants called "Olympia" - they are more of a summer cropping than autumn/winter, but they were gorgeous.

Why not try a romanesco type broccoli?  They are the bright lime green (or other colour) heads that look more a weird cauliflower head than broccoli.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 20:28 »
heavy clay is fine  ;)

For big heads, look for calabrese - broccoli tend to be the "shoots" that you refer.  A couple of years ago I was given some spare calabrese plants called "Olympia" - they are more of a summer cropping than autumn/winter, but they were gorgeous.

Why not try a romanesco type broccoli?  They are the bright lime green (or other colour) heads that look more a weird cauliflower head than broccoli.

Thanks for that. Isn't calabrese all autumn cropping though? If I want to have some for overwintering, I was thinking those would have to be broccoli. I've never eaten romanesco broccoli. Do they taste and cook like normal broccoli or not?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 20:50 »
spring ones are sprouting broccoli and they are all small shoots, as far as I know

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 20:53 »
Broccoli tend to be from early spring to summer, calabrese from summer to late autumn but there is a bit of a cross over depending on the variety.  My only experience is Olympia see http://www.johnsons-seeds.com/seeds-plants-gardening/12995/broccoli-calabrese-olympia-f1 which crops from June-October (mine were definitely ready in July)

Romanesco tastes just like broccoli but looks like a strange (and mine were a bright lime green colour) cauliflower shaped head http://www.johnsons-seeds.com/seeds-plants-gardening/16706/cauliflower-romanesco   I don't like cauliflower so I grew it and cooked it with trepidation only to be pleasantly surprised - I would definitely grow it again  :D 

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 21:44 »
Romanesco tastes just like broccoli but looks like a strange (and mine were a bright lime green colour) cauliflower shaped head http://www.johnsons-seeds.com/seeds-plants-gardening/16706/cauliflower-romanesco   I don't like cauliflower so I grew it and cooked it with trepidation only to be pleasantly surprised - I would definitely grow it again  :D 

These seed companies really go out of their way to cause confusion though, don't they. When I did a search for this, I found it listed by different companies as cauliflower romanesco and broccoli romanesco. Even on the Johnsons website, if you do a search on romanesco it comes up with both broccoli and cauliflower romanesco, and both seed packets have exactly the same picture on the front. I fancy trying this, but is it going to be savaged by cabbage white butterflies?

paintedlady

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 05:55 »
all brassicas get savaged by cabbage white caterpillars!!!  Broccoli varieties seem to be exceptionally vulnerable (my broccoli get targetted first) so definitely grow under fine netting!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 12:29 »
One varity I have grown to like is Ironman, it seems to grow well, slow to bolt and tastes propper iron like.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Calabrese and Broccoli

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 09:56
by maxibo
xx
calabrese broccoli

Started by ian.ford on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 14:24
by Aunt Sally
xx
Broccoli or Calabrese?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2020, 17:07
by rowlandwells
xx
Calabrese/Broccoli

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 15:34
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 33 queries.