Hollyhock Rust and Flaming 12 May 2007

• 1 Replies

Durgan

« on: September 26, 2007, 23:50 »

12 May 2007. This hollyhock rust caused by the fungus Puccinia malvacearum can result in serious injury to hollyhocks (AIthaea spp.) and is found nearly everywhere they are grown.

Last fall 2006 about late October, I flamed my infected hollyhock plants and the immediate area surrounding. The plants are now about six inches high and there is absolutely no sign of the rust. This observation may be premature, but it is encouraging, since the rust devastated my hollyhocks last year. I tried fungicides to no avail. This flaming just may be a control.

In July one hollyhock plant was growing alonside the compost heap, and it was infected with rust. I pulled the plant and flammed around the area. This infected plant was about 60 feet from my row of about 7 rust free hollyhocks. This indicates that the rust was present in the garden area, and indicates to some degree that flamming just may be a control for this rust.

26 September 2007. There is no sign of rust on the plants, which have completed the flowering cycle.

I bought this "Weedburner" from the US from the Internet. Since ordering, I found that Lee Valley locally sells the same device. I use the barbeque propane tank, and find the flame is ideal size for home use. Recently I have seen a similar device imported from China. It even had a built-in flint self-starter, and was about a third of the price, that I paid.

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:39 »
Interesting concept, but personally, I'd move that tank farther away from the flame.

xx
hollyhock

Started by dustcartkev on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 13:46
by Poolcue
xx
Hollyhock help please

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 17:23
by sion01
xx
Hollyhock problem

Started by FRUITFULL on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 06:57
by oldbean
xx
Unwell Hollyhock

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 11:58
by JayG

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 26 queries.