hollyhock

• 5 Replies

dustcartkev

hollyhock
« on: January 12, 2013, 19:47 »
hi can anyone help please, i have got some hollyhock seeds when is a good time to sow, and can i start them off indoors, or is that a bad idea, cheers kev ;) ;) ;)

sion01

Re: hollyhock
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 20:54 »
The hollyhocks i grow are biennial and I dont sow until early june but I hae experimented this year with some in september and their good stubby little plants now.Il have a look on the seed packets if theres a proper date

sion01

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 21:24 »
No seed packets im afraid but RHS with most hollyhocks say sow in mid /early summer but there is one Alcea Rosea 'Summer Carnival' group that is best grown as an annual and sown in mid/late winter at 13 degrees.Most if not all hollyhocks  are actualy short lived perennials.

If you haven't got the specific name i'd gamble on sowing in May/June.Most people sow where they are to flower outside but I take the easy option of sowing seeds singularly in propacks in my little plastic frame thinggy.They dont really need heat and i've started some in three inch pots outside when space was limited.They normally germinate really quickly and the plants are healthy and want to live.Good luck

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 23:20 »
I've sown hollyhocks about this time of year and quite often get bloom the first summer. Normally they're biennial but by starting them early now you can sneak past that little point.

Should have said that I start and keep them indoors until planting out/hardening off times.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 23:21 by Trillium »

dustcartkev

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 13:41 »
I've sown hollyhocks about this time of year and quite often get bloom the first summer. Normally they're biennial but by starting them early now you can sneak past that little point.

Should have said that I start and keep them indoors until planting out/hardening off times.
thanks for advice. i will get some going now. ;) ;) ;)

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 13:46 »
I sowed some seeds on 25/10 this year in a tray in the conservatory,once they were up I relocated them to an unheated blowaway and they seem to be doing OK.

xx
Hollyhock help please

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 17:23
by sion01
xx
Unwell Hollyhock

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 11:58
by JayG
xx
Hollyhock problem

Started by FRUITFULL on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 06:57
by oldbean
xx
Hollyhock Rust and Flaming 12 May 2007

Started by Durgan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 05:39
by Trillium

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.