Really Poor Soil - not a worm in sight

• 16 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Re: Really Poor Soil - not a worm in sight
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 15:50 »
Sounds silly but where can I buy worms?

I looked into this recently for much the same reasons and read up a bit on it. There are different types of worms, the compostery or wormery (also fishing shops) worms are Brandling worms and won't thrive in the soil, although apparently they'll be happy on a compost heap. Put them in the soil and they'll die. You need Earth worms.

I emailed Suttons seeds about this and a nice man called Keith emailed me this back.
"Dear MY Name
Thank you for your email. Brandling Worms are used improve the quality of compost, in a composter or similar. It sounds as though Earth Worms would be better for your purposes. We sell these through our sister company Organic Gardening and I have included a link to their website below. I hope this helps.

https://www.organiccatalogue.com/feeding-soil-care/making-compost/worm-composting/earthworms-average-100.htm"

I read up a bit more, and read somewhere that if you want to introduce earth worms take not the worms up, take a lump of sod with the worms in it up, insert it into your plot soil and let them colonise from there.

Personally I'm trying to get someone to sell me bulk compost to dig into my awful probably entirely sub soil and then I plan on the sod transfer and bribing the kids to worm catch worms on paths when it's raining (distract them from flooding their wellies). Then they can try planting them around the sod with the worms I found in my shop bought compost.
The latter worms shows they don't need sod to thrive and I have no idea how they got across 10 foot of very well drained gravel to climb in there but they must be dead 'ard commando worms. So they should make it in my plot.

JimB

• Experienced Member
Re: Really Poor Soil - not a worm in sight
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 19:41 »

Quite often this same problem comes up,and usually asked during the hot summer months and it is always solved when the rains come,

If I dig my plot in the summer like lifting potatoes there are no or few worms in sight, during winter digging very large worms are everywhere, they are there but not always visible!

Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

xx
Oh no! my poor soil :(

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 16:35
by compostqueen
xx
Poor soil in Polytunnel

Started by groweate on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 03, 2020, 19:04
by TonyB.
xx
Poor soil at new house

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 23:33
by Salmo
xx
poor soil condition

Started by emotion-2003 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 18:40
by emotion-2003

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 39 queries.