Very poorly chook.

• 11 Replies

NormandyMary

Very poorly chook.
« on: April 23, 2008, 19:02 »
Went into the coop today to clean it out, and one of my girls couldnt get her legs to work to get out of the nesting box. I carried her down to the ground as the boxes are about 2 feet off the ground. Since this morning, she has eaten and drunk some water which I put in front if her, and has been trying to get to her feet. She looks bright round the eyes and is very aware of her surroundings. Now for the punch line. I noticed a pile of green poo by the side of her just now when I went to check her. It looked a bit runny but not slimy. Any ideas gratefully received, and apologies to those who have just eated their dinner!

Mary.

Wildeone

Very poorly chook.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 19:04 »
Poor girl - hope you get some advice soon.
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

Jellyhead

Very poorly chook.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 19:04 »
Cant help Im afraid, but I do know that Aunty will want a poo piccie :shock:
Good luck, I hope she gets better  :)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

compostqueen

Very poorly chook.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 23:21 »
could be worms  :?:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Very poorly chook.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:25 »
Do hope she's ok. There's hope whilst she's eating and drinking. If she's not drinking much, might be worth trying Dyarolite (or other electrolyte powder from Pharmacy), in her water if she's really runny. We give it by syringe if they stop drinking as it ensures they get the basic electrolites to keep them alive.

Fingers crossed,
Judi

flocko

Very poorly chook.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 14:11 »
Sorry to hear about your bird, dont know what it is but I have a cockerel with exactly the same thing. I thought it may have been Mareks but he hasn't got any better but certainly hasn't got any worse.
He is still eating(although a bit fussy and will only eat the things I normally give as treats) his colour is good but just cant stand on his legs.

I was giving him up till to today before dispatching him but feel I need to give him a bit longer he isn't suffering(well he doesn't appear to be) and I think he quite likes being indoors.

Hope your chook gets better soon.

Jellyhead

Very poorly chook.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 20:32 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
Do hope she's ok. might be worth trying Dyarolite (or other electrolyte powder from Pharmacy), in her water if she's really runny. We give it by syringe if they stop drinking as it ensures they get the basic electrolites to keep them alive.

what I have done with very tiny kitties and chicks is give them sugar and salted water which is basic electrolytes as I understand. It has worked sor far so must be doin something right.  Good luck :wink:

NormandyMary

Very poorly chook.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 22:24 »
She didnt move today, although she did eat some food and had a drink. I will try the sugar/salt water tomorrow if she is still with us.
I had chooks for ages without any problems and now it just seems to be one thing after another.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Very poorly chook.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 22:55 »
It could be lots of things from Marek's to worms to bacterial infection to coccidiosis or even a lack of Calcium can cause paralysis.  

Green poo can be a sign of worms or coccidia or even eating lots of greens.  Has she eaten anything poisonous perhaps.

If she is hot under her wing, compaared to other hens the she could have a viral or bacterial infection.

If you worm regularly with flubenvet you can rule that out.  You could treat for the other conditions but only a vet (who knows a bit about birds) could diagnose the problem.

swede

Very poorly chook.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 16:22 »
Quote from: "flocko"
I have a cockerel with exactly the same thing. Hope your chook gets better soon.

:cry: I don’t want to an alarmist, but I do know that chickens suffer the unbalance and loss of use in their legs when they get foul-pest. Keep a good eye on the rest of the girls and if more go down with the same symptoms get professional help soonest. swede
Old age is a gift to all in time.Enjoy it!

NormandyMary

Very poorly chook.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 17:48 »
Im afraid my little girl was not getting any better, though no worse, so I got my neighbour to do the deed, as I didnt think it was fair on her not to be able to move. She was still very bright in herself, eating and drinking well, and by the end her poo looked normal, just the paralysis.
Im watching the rest like a hawk as you can imagine.
I havent been able to find anything specifically for worms in the shops where I am, can I buy flubenvet over the internet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Very poorly chook.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 18:01 »
Bad luck Mary  :cry: You can buy flubenvet on the internet Just click on Johns Petmeds link on the Poultry pages.

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/

xx
Poorly chook

Started by djt on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:25
by grumpydad
xx
Poorly chook ?

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2013, 12:30
by grinling
sad
Another poorly chook

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 20:48
by Charlie's Chickens
xx
Poorly Chook

Started by azubah on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 09:14
by azubah

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 34 queries.