Direct sown sweetcorn

• 15 Replies

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
Direct sown sweetcorn
« on: May 26, 2010, 20:30 »
Has anyone had any luck with sweetcorn sown direct?  I've put out all my pre-sown plants in loo rolls and chucked the remaining seeds in the gaps.  Do they stand a chance?

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
Re: Direct sown sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 20:42 »
Depends a lot on the weather.  They need warmth to germinate and will rot if in cold soil too long.  I've been successful before but have failed more often than not with direct sowing.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 21:16 »
I have a really interesting trial result from Gardening Which a couple of years ago.
They compared yield per plot (16 plants) in kg. They used "Swift".

Best results were Sown direct 26 May, uncovered.  Harvested 14 Sept. 9 cobs per 8 plants. 4.1kg per 16 plants.

Worst was sown direct 20 June, Harvest 25 Sep, 7 cobs per 8 plants, 3.1kgper 16 plants.

Best pre-sown result was sown in pots 26 May, harvested 18 Sept. 8 cobs per 8 plants, 3.4kg per 16 plants.

So there you have it.  I know that was just one trial, one variety, but interesting.

I've just planted out my sweetcorn today - sown from pre-chitted seed in Richy's Paper Pots.
Hope this helps!

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 21:29 »
Well they've got two chances!!  All I know is if I dont get a decent crop this year, home grown sweetcorn is off the menu. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 22:12 »
if I dont get a decent crop this year, home grown sweetcorn is off the menu. 

It has to be if you don't grow any  :unsure:  :) 
sorry  :blush:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 22:36 »
Don't despair Plot22!

Sweetcorn is one of my favourite crops and in about 25 years of trying I've only once come close to complete failure, and that was probably because I didn't feed them enough (and that's in Sheffield, not where you are!)

Because they're not really perfectly suited to the average British summer I think it helps to at least try to get them off to a flying start (i.e. sown indoors) but seeding direct to fill in the gaps seems a perfectly sensible option in Somerset.

As you say; two chances (increasingly my favourite expression!  :nowink: )
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:21 »
I am hoping the sweetcorn seed I have put in will germinate,I put them in on 26th May at two to each position in a block. I got fed up of trying to germinate in pots , only a few made it each time I resowed.
If I dont get reasonable results then it will be the first and last time trying to grow my own sweetcorn.
Good luck with yours.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 07:35 »
I am hoping the sweetcorn seed I have put in will germinate,I put them in on 26th May at two to each position in a block. I got fed up of trying to germinate in pots , only a few made it each time I resowed.
If I dont get reasonable results then it will be the first and last time trying to grow my own sweetcorn.
Good luck with yours.
Well if you follow the Which trial results, you've got the best chance of all! 

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 07:44 »
Lets hope so Penny , we will see ! how long do I  wait before I start furtling to see what is happening under the soil?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:51 »
Don't furtle with sweetcorn! It hates root disturbance.

I've pre-chitted again this year. All 94, (or was it 96), pre-chitted seed have sprouted in the pots.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 07:55 »
Don't furtle with sweetcorn! It hates root disturbance.

I've pre-chitted again this year. All 94, (or was it 96), pre-chitted seed have sprouted in the pots.

Have to say, I like this chitting. Not done it before with sweetcorn but almost all of mine sprouted, and after a few weeks in long paper pots, they had really impressive root systems. 

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 07:58 »
I'll sit on my hands and wait then DD , I did nt pre chit the seeds !! Silly Me !  Note to myself ,will try sweetcorn again next year and  I will pre chit and sow in paper pots .

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:04 »
I am doing the Which trial this year on a new white variety.
As instructed I started 16 seeds in pots in the g/house, and planted them out about 3 weeks ago. At the same time I planted another 16 direct in the ground.
All were covered with a cloche which I haven't yet removed to see how they are getting on, although I can see through parts of the cloche that the presown plants seem to be growing (along with a couple of volunteer potatoes and several b****y weeds)).
If I get time today I will have a look and let you know how they are doing.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

Terry

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 08:20 »
Hi our 7 year old going on 16 granddaughter loves sweetcorn so being growing it for the last 2 years with fair results, when we take her over there to pick the first cop and cook it there and then her face lights up when she eats it,it is marvellous.Always chit ours even then some fail.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 09:22 »
Yes the chap on the naxt plot to me sowed his a fortnight  ago  and they were up yesterday , thats in Leicestershire
bazial

xx
Direct sown peas

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 17:26
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Germination of direct sown peas

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:00
by Benny130
xx
Onions in modules VS sown direct.

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 17:14
by DD.
xx
can you direct sow sweetcorn?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 21:50
by Salmo

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.