Question about weed suppressant.

• 9 Replies

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
Question about weed suppressant.
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:34 »
On Saturday i met a new plot neighbour who has just got half a plot directly behind mine, in decent condition.

As he's a wee bit older, I offered to help him clear it on the weekends when taking a break from my own plot, but he told that his plan is to cut all the weeds down, turn over the soil, cover the whole thing in weed suppressant and just cut out holes for his beds.

Is this a good idea? He said he'd been doing it on his old plot (in a different borough) for years and it always works well?

Cheers,
Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about weed suppressant.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:52 »
If he is cutting out beds, rather than cutting for individual plants - then it's just a way of keeping his paths tidy/maintenance free ;)

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19 »
Thanks Mum. I thought he may be doing it for that reason as he has a bit of a bad back.

It's also given me food for thought as I may do this on my own plot.  :D

Jim

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:48 »
If it's going to be for the paths etc get builders bags and undo the stitching... it makes about a 5mt x 1mt strip... and its free.. Just lay on pathways and between the beds and cover with tree chippings which are also free if you speak to a tree surgeon - they are only too happy to give it away..

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:51 »
If you are cutting out beds, rather than having raised ones, then the chippings don't stay on the paths - well they don't here on this windy site  :(

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:26 »
I use heavy duty sheet mulch for paths but it has to be the heavy stuff and well secured with the right pegs.  I only put bark in the the bits that have raised beds either side as it migrates all over the place, with the help of blackbirds etc    The heavy duty stuff looks ok as it is and you can sweep it when needs be :D

For temporary paths I use old planks and cardboard which I get from the local electric shop. They are always pleased to give it away.  It rots down so you can put more over the top. It saves the soil from being compressed

madcat

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 14:07 »
I worry about providing a happy house and breeding ground for slugs under the fabric.  Dark, damp and protected from the birds - what's not to love if you are a slug?  And dinner on the doorstep  ....   >:(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 14:54 »
I don't have raised beds, but have edged all my beds with brick sunk into the ground, level with the soil, this weights down my weed fabric on my paths and I am able to add woodchips on top packing them tightly between the edge of the bricks and the fabric. It stops weeds really well, and if the odd pernicious one does succeed in getting through, it is very easy to lift a brick, remove the weed and replace the brick. :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 19:07 »

i planted my brassicas in black Polly sheeting cut holes in the sheeting for spacing depending on what brassicas where planted

because we get a lot of red-shank growing faster than the brassica crop although this does keep the weeds at bay it do take your comments about slugs but i did spray several times and it seemed to keep both slugs and caterpillars from the crop  :)

but this year it was a disaster for my brassicas crops because the Polly sheeting made it worse with the wet ground i had to plant twice once with Polly sheeting the next planting without neither done any good a complete waste of time  :mad:

maybe next season mite be in our favour :unsure:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 19:19 »

i planted my brassicas in black Polly sheeting cut holes in the sheeting for spacing depending on what brassicas where planted
Bad idea in my experience. The soil under the polythene harbours slugs and gets sour and the rest gets soggy due to run-off from the polythene

xx
Weed Suppressant

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2015, 09:40
by engineer
xx
Weed suppressant membrane

Started by Jaseywase on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 22:07
by operabunny
xx
Weed Suppressant Membrane

Started by rsdavis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 17:51
by gavinjconway
xx
Weed suppressant fabric

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 22:40
by Godhelm

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 30 queries.