Saving my blueberries

• 6 Replies

gathsman

• Enjoying The Good Life!
Saving my blueberries
« on: November 06, 2012, 15:49 »
Hi everyone.
I planted 3 blueberry plants in spring time, I (stupidly) planted them into the ground! And surprise surprise they look like they are dying!!! The plant stem seems to have grown a bit, and throughout summer there was not really an abundance of leaves! They did not fruit either but I think this was to be expected as they're new plants!! Should I leave them in the ground to see how they progress as this was only thir first year and I didn't really know what to expect! Or should I take cuttings or just dig them up!! If I did dig them up when should this be done, and what should I do with them??? Thanks in advance! Steve

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Re: Saving my blueberries
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 16:05 »

Blueberries need quite an acid soil.

I've got 10, 5 are in the soil and 5 in large pots of ericaceous compost .

They both receive liquid ericaceous feed .

The ones in pots are doing better as it is easier to keep the soil acid.

I've had some blueberries off both,they are two years old ,but should produce more next year.

The leaves on both have turned a deep red colour

Cheers carl

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 16:27 »
They don't sound too happy although as you say it was their first year - they do need acid soil although mine soldiered on for several years in the ground with the soil becoming more and more towards neutral (I should have known that the moss peat they were originally planted in wouldn't last forever - this year I mulched them with sawdust, sulphur granules, fed them well and they put on a bit of a growth spurt as well as producing another good crop of berries.)

Waterlogging is bad for them, but so is excessive dryness as they are quite shallow rooted - if your soil pH is too high and either of those apply that is probably why they are sulking or possibly dying, although as carlrmj says they are of course deciduous and are therefore just bare sticks in winter.

Edit: another thought - although different varieties flower at different times in general they do flower quite early, so you may have planted yours a bit late for either flowering or for them to settle down and grow much this year.  :unsure:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 16:47 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gathsman

• Enjoying The Good Life!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 17:27 »
Thanks for the replies.... So all is not necessarily lost! When should they start producing fruit?

Would it be possible to take some cuttings to put in pots incase the others do die?

I shall follow your advice and see what happens!

Ta

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 18:31 »
Not really the time of year to be taking cuttings, although you could try to find out whether the plants are still alive - if they are dead the stems will all be brittle and dry (a small percentage of them die back every year but that shouldn't happen with new plants.)

An article here about propagating blueberries from cuttings (in spring!)

SG6

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 22:09 »
As there are quite a few chalk hills around you I would get them out of the ground as they will die if left in. They may be too far gone now as they are pretty sensative to a non-acidic environment.

Put them in a large pot each and use ericaceous compost, then use only rain water, tap water is too alkaline.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33 »
As you only have three plants it would be worth moving them to pots, in ericaceous soil, which is readily availabel.

We have three in pots at home and they fruit well. Plants are about 45-50 com tall and they are in  15 ins pots.

At the plot I have some younger plants, and they are dosed up with sulphur in the Spring, and get a feed of azalea food a couple of time in the growing season. Semms to keep the soil acidic enough but we are not on chalk but silty river clay.

My Dad grew them in a tall raised bed- around 50 cm high - lined with membrane and  filled with ericaceous soil. This needed topping up every year, as it sunk slowly. Bushes (plus a camellia and a flame of the forest) thrived. His garden was on chalk, so tht is something you could think about perhaps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Blueberries

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 14:27
by JohnB47
xx
Blueberries!

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 08:04
by Wildeone
xx
blueberries

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 15:50
by JayG
xx
Blueberries

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 01:23
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.968 seconds with 38 queries.