RIP Edna

• 4 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
RIP Edna
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:04 »
Our beautiful cream legbar passed away yesterday afternoon. I am devastated :(

She was such a character but after her moult had laid only 2 eggs that we know of. For the past few days she was not herself and yesterday we found her underneath to be swollen. We suspected Egg Peritonitis  and were taking her to the vets but she never made it.

on inspection after her death we found that deep inside her she had 6 eggs. I don't know how she lasted so long and am baffled that any syptoms to show she was not right were very few and short. I am devastaded that we did not know anything was wrong before now but she disguised it well as she was still running around and scratching eating drinking and doing what chooks do.

RIP Edna xxx

andymac

• andymacs
Re: RIP Edna
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:04 »
RIP Edna.
She looked a lovely girl. x

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52 »
Awww sorry to hear about Edna Ma, she was a lovely girl.   :( :(

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:29 »
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear that. She's a beauty  :(  The condition is treatable but it would recur I suspect, as it did with one of mine. 

It's very sad but at least she was scratching about doing henny things right up until the end  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:36 »
What a pretty wee face!  RIP Edna.

This is a very good example of how hens can keep their illness a secret for along time. By the time they are sick enough to show clear symptoms, they are often too sick to recover.  :(

Good on you for doing your best for Edna.  Also good on you for doing an autopsy.  It's a difficult thing to do on a pet, but it does help us all to understand a little better the health of our hens.

sad
Edna update and medication query

Started by elainehas3hens on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 07:07
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 34 queries.