Sedimentary

• 7 Replies

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
Sedimentary
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:45 »
Morning all  :D

I have just started getting into wine-making, and thought I would start off with a 30 bottle kit, which I bottled just under a week ago.

To cut a long story short, I bottled it all up without checking it had cleared properly. The wine itself looks ok, but there is apparently some sediment on the bottom of the bottles when you hold them up to the light. Not a lot, but definitely some.

I assume this doesn't matter too much...it won't affect the drinkability will it? As long as I dont agitate it too much when I am pouring, and don't drink the dregs?  Is that right or am I missing something?

The kit did actually say to leave it for 24 hours, which I did, but it also said in some cases it can take 48 hours to clear fully, so I will know next time!

Kleftiwallah

Re: Sedimentary
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:45 »

If you decant it into another bottle very slowly and leave the bottom inch, should be O.K.    ::)  Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:49 »
Will leaving it in there have any detrimental effect on the wine? It will be drunk within 6 months.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:08 »
Will leaving it in there have any detrimental effect on the wine? It will be drunk within 6 months.

Repeating what I've read over the last few day - If its just a little dead yeast and you're going to drink it soonish don't worry about it. If its a great pile its not good for the wine to sit on it for any length of time it does nasty things to the flavour.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:35 »
Thanks guys. I think I will risk it, there isn't much except in the last couple of bottles, which I will make sure get drunk first.

nobby400

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 13:45 »
I tend to leave mine a week or more after putting the finings in.  If you want it supper clear syphon into another bucket and leave for another week then bottle.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 15:12 »
Thanks Nobby. I must admit I struggle to get my head around the idea that you can just leave it for ages before bottling it when most wine bottles say drink within three days of opening  :blink:

Anyhoo, I've got through a couple of bottles now, they were the last ones to be filled and therefore the ones most likely to have the most sediment, and they haven't been anything like as bad as I thought.

nobby400

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 16:18 »
Robert

Remember that your wine will be protected by the CO2.  The stuff you put in to stop the fermentation is a preservative and the high level of alcohol helps.

Remember the Supermarkets even put a use by date of pickling vinegar!!!! 

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 29 queries.