Any strong opinions.........

• 25 Replies

Livinhope

Re: Any strong opinions.........
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 18:38 »
[Sounds like the WI lady needs some updated info.
[/quote]

I don't think so, she's judging most weeks this time of year, to WI judging standards, and I know this last week she has been one of the judges at three different events.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 18:45 »
Show standards are not the same as home cooking standards - thank goodness :)

madcat

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 18:50 »
Mum got disqualified from the village show for using a jar with screw threads, even when she had done the  greaseproof and cellophane finish thing.  Only proper jam jars allowed. 

To be fair, Ma was kicking herself round the block for not noticing the jar .....  she accepted the ruling was right by the show rules.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 20:19 »
sorry if this is stupid but don't all jars have screw threads at the top?
Even if you buy new jam jars to use ....they have screw threads.....don't they :unsure:

Casey76

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 07:09 »
I don't know about the UK, but in France you can still buy jam jars with no threads... needless to day, all of my jam jars have metal screw tops lol!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 08:57 »
well, that just shows how little I know about it!

All of my stuff has always gone into scrounged jars :lol:

Skorps

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 20:38 »

Yes it's because they aren't airtight and that can cause the jam to go mouldy.  I can't help but admit it does make sense. When I've used the cellophane covers, dampened, I have noticed that they shrink as they cool and apparently you should be able to ping them and they should be tight as a drum.
[/quote]

My Grandma used to put a thin layer of butter over the jam/preserve, Ive never tried it but she used to swear by it!
It probably depends on what you are making the jam for?
If its just for you then a good sterilising should be enough but if the lady is making them for the WI (in view to sell) she would probably be working to some food standards health and safety

Hope it all goes well!!
xXx

Livinhope

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 13:14 »

My Grandma used to put a thin layer of butter over the jam/preserve, Ive never tried it but she used to swear by it!
It probably depends on what you are making the jam for?
If its just for you then a good sterilising should be enough but if the lady is making them for the WI (in view to sell) she would probably be working to some food standards health and safety

Hope it all goes well!!
xXx
[/quote]

I can see the idea behind putting a thin layer of butter over the jam to preserve it, my problem would be with the jam being in a cupboard at room temperature and the butter going rancid.

My original query about cellophane covers versus metal lids was just out of interest to see what other peoples opinions were.  I understand it is WI policy to disqualify home made jams, pickles and chutneys in jars with metal lids because they cannot be guaranteed air tight.  As far as I am personally concerned it's each to his own, and I use both methods.

madcat

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 14:04 »
Which only goes to show that jam makers and allotment holders are from the same tribe ....  we all do it our way!  Ten people and eleven opinions.   :D  That is the great thing about diversity and respecting each others right to be different.   :) :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 14:18 »
I reuse lids for giving away (when I don't expect the jars back) and short-term storage. I use glass lids with rubber seals or screw-down metal lids (kilner jars) for personal use/long term storage. Having said that I often reuse the rubber seals and metal lids if they are in good condition.

SS

Livinhope

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 14:53 »
Which only goes to show that jam makers and allotment holders are from the same tribe ....  we all do it our way!  Ten people and eleven opinions.   :D  That is the great thing about diversity and respecting each others right to be different.   :) :)

Exactly :D I couldn't agree more.

xx
Wholemeal Plain Flour (not strong)

Started by madcat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 09:04
by madcat
xx
Your opinions..

Started by Livinhope on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 12:43
by Livinhope

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.