I'm losing my blueberries!

• 8 Replies

viettaclark

I'm losing my blueberries!
« on: August 30, 2012, 23:25 »
Bought 4 assorted from Ken Muir early last year and they've been very healthy. Even got a bit of fruit on a couple this year.
Then I noticed one of the two "Herberts" was going brown and it got worse even with tlc.
Eventually I dug it up and moved it to a pot of ericaceous compost and gave it a good water but it was pretty dead and hasn't survived.. Now the other Herbert is curling up it's toes so I think I'll whip it out smartish.
The Earliblue and Blueboy seem unaffected but they're a bit away. It's not water or soil. Branches are spreading black/brown from the tips and leaves are curling and going soft and brown.
Is this a blueberry disease or could the damson and plum near them that haven't been well be infecting them?

Trillium

Re: I'm losing my blueberries!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:10 »
It almost sounds like you've got fireblight which can pass like wildfire from branch tips to the centre of the plant. At one time it was thought to be mostly a fruit tree problem but now they find ornaments and shrubs can get it.

There's info HERE.

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 20:34 »
Hi.

You said "Eventually I dug it up and moved it to a pot of ericaceous compost and gave it a good watering...".

Where did you have it planted first - in ordinary soil? Was it fed with food suitable for acid loving plants? Has it been kept well watered always and only with rain water?

All of these things are important to blueberry plants.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 21:08 »
here is a link, please see what disease you have got. it has many pictures for you to compare with your plant's symptom,

http://www.migarden.msu.edu/uploads/files/8/E3048.pdf
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 22:41 »
I've looked in Ken Muir's book borrowed from a mate and I think it's Blueberry stem blight.
As with other blights the spores travel in rain and wind and will latch on to any wound in a healthy plant. The description of symptoms fits perfectly.
I have a blight of sorts on the plum and blight on the toms and potatoes so I'll blame it on this dreadful year and get rid of the infected plants asap!
(By the way.....the plants are in nice acid soil and get watered with rain water.....possibly too much this year!)

SG6

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 15:08 »
If they were not in acid soil, doubtful in Southampton then that would make them go down hill badly. They need an acid soil. Not slightly acis but really acidic.

If you have been watering with tap water that will also cause them harm, it is too alkaline, rain water ONLY.

Saying it is not soil or water is I suspect exactly what it is.

Mine are in a large tub of ericaceous compost and I add sawdust to keep the acidity up as well. Also use a ericaceous feed.

Once used tapwater when all else had gone, one can full and they hated it and went downhill. They really dislike anything that is not acidic.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 23:52 »
They ARE in acid soil at the edge of a conifer tree. They have a thick pine needle mulch and I do everything by the book!
My soil is acid all over the garden actually which is proved by the profuse growth of the rhododendrums and azaleas.
This is definitely a blight, not a maintenance prob.
Threw away another few pounds of toms today.......... :(

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 00:35 »
In reality, blueberries will grow in almost any type of soil barring extremely alkaline soil, so the soil isn't the true culprit. Sadly, the weather has done a real number on gardeners and their crops.

I figured you must have some type of blight but I've never encountered stem blight (thankfully!) Hope there is some way to stop it. I treated fireblight, which is truly awful, with an all over spray of one part white vinegar to 5 parts water. I wonder if this will work for your stem blight?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 21:03 »
I have experienced exactly the same, I lost one plant and cut back the other two plants which did resprout and recover.  I couldn't find a cause at the time but it sounds like you have had more luck tracking down the problem than I did at the time.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
losing the slug war

Started by Mahogony on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 21:40
by Mahogony
xx
losing against the caterpillars

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 10:41
by titch
xx
Bindweed......I'm losing the will.....help...

Started by alaj on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 17:49
by sunshineband
xx
Losing our plots

Started by Sprouts on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 16, 2007, 12:10
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 35 queries.