brassicas

• 5 Replies

Sue33

brassicas
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:45 »

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site so forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong section...

I posted a question on the keeping chooks bit and everyone is friendly so thought I'd ask you guys a question re seedlings. 

We took on an allotment last year and everyone was really kind and gave us lots of stuff, one guy gave us cauliflowers, cabbages and broccoli (and onions) but this year I'm doing it for myself, I've got the seeds off to a start in the green house in trays and they've all come up really well.  the only this is, the bottom leave are looking a bit yellow and I know it's far too early to put them out, would it be ok to transplant them into their own individual pots or do they not like being "potted on"?

Thanks for any advice,

Sue

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: brassicas
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:52 »
Pot 'em on, but don't leave them in the greenhouse too long, as they don't like heat.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:02 »

thank you DD - that's me sorted for tomorrow morning, now, really must get on with the cold frame, it's something we've talked about but not actually got round to doing, like lots of other things really !

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:11 »
As with most people, I started with my Brassicas indoors in the unheated greenhouse.  Following advice on here (thanks DD!) I realised it would be too warm (especially on sunny days when it gets up to 35 degrees at the moment!  I started off by moving them outside of the greenhouse during sunny days and putting them back inside at night.  Then moving them outside any day and back inside at night.  They have spent the last week or so outside all the time and look fine.

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 14:09 »

Elcie, that sound like what I do with my chooks!! In out, in out, shake it all about :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 14:26 »
The 'bottom leaves' are the seed leaves and they will die off.
I potted my cabbages and put three into a cold frame to bring them on. Now they are bigger than the others. I concentrate on continuity rather than a glut. They don't like heat.
Find out from your allotment neighbours if there is clubroot. Our allotments have it and so I will grow all my brassicas in 4" pots before transferring. Gives the roots a better start.

xx
Brassicas

Started by jimroden on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 11:42
by Sadgit
sad
Brassicas

Started by cmf on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 20:21
by Grasshopper
xx
Brassicas

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 18:48
by RJR_38
xx
brassicas

Started by iggyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 21:37
by Livinhope

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 28 queries.