soft shells

• 7 Replies

coco

• Experienced Member
soft shells
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:29 »
As I understand it, an occasional soft shelled egg is nothing to worry about (?)

We've had our three girls a few months now and they've been laying lovely eggs every day for us ... so was a bit surprised this morning to find two soft and strange eggs  :)

xx

Casey76

Re: soft shells
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:32 »
If they ahve been laying normally for a while and this is a one off, I wouldn't worry.

If it continues you could add a little calcium carbonate powder to their layers pellets/mash

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:38 »
OK thanks for that :) I shall keep an eye out and perhaps get some calcium carbonate powder.

They've been laying normally since we've had them, with no problems that I'm aware of.  They have layers pellets and oyster grit available all day, with treats and free ranging in the afternoons.

I'm guessing its just a one off, but seemed strange coincidence that two off them decided to have a one off on the same day  ;)

xx

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 13:49 »
Maybe something upset them??? 2 of mine will lay soft eggs if they've had a scare or upset????  :wacko:

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 13:55 »
They could also have been laid by one hen, soft shelled eggs take a while to lay, another one could have been backed up. Keep a close eye on them, maybe cut down on treats etc in the afternoon so their diet comes mainly from their mixed pellets. Keep oyster shell handy for them :)

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 18:01 »
One of mine seems to be having trouble recently making her shell (or however you would put it). There's plenty of oyster shell there and the other hens are grand....but she's done this before and I don't know why. Anyway - I baked and crushed a few egg shells which she devoured very quickly and all is well again!!! Looks like I have to do this every once in a while with her!  :nowink:

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:36 »
three perfect eggs this morning  :D they are such clever girls

Is it safe to feed them egg shells?  even if they've layed them?

xx

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:58 »
egg shells are fine some bake them in a oven but I just let them dry over a couple of day. crush them up with a rolling pin and mix in with food they dont know what their eating bless them . ;)

xx
Soft egg shells

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 08, 2007, 19:04
by muntjac
xx
Soft shells

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 22:02
by Basil_UK
xx
soft shells

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 13:30
by ANHBUC
xx
Soft Egg Shells

Started by melc1962 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 19:25
by peggyprice

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 29 queries.