What to do when going away

• 14 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
What to do when going away
« on: October 04, 2009, 20:32 »
Hi guys

Really need some advice, we're going away for 2 nights and 2 days soon (its my brother-in-law's wedding so we have to go) and I've been trying to sort someone out to come round and look after my girls while we're away. Finally thought I'd found someone who came round and we went though the routine, well now she's let us down and said she can't do it so I'm back to square one.

Am really panicking as its my husband's brother's wedding so not going is not really an option. Usually my in laws would look after the girls but obviously we're all going up there together.

So my options are to try and find someone else with about 2 weeks notice which I'm dubious about in case they also let me down or don't turn up or something  :unsure: or as my parents-in-law also have chickens we could take the girls round there and whoever is looking after the place while we're away can also look after my girls - we could take our own coop and keep them separate to the other chickens although they'd have to stay in the run part of the coop which is pretty small but only for 2 days.

I guess my question is would they be ok to be moved around and kept in a run this small for 2 days?  :ohmy: The coop is the same as this one http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch101n.htm and we have 3 girls. Obviously at home we have a larger run for them.

Cheers
Liz

ehs284

Re: What to do when going away
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 20:48 »
They'd be OK for two days in that unit, but the stress of moving twice in that time would not be good and would make them vulnerable to infections and other problems. Where abouts are you - perhaps someone on here can help?

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 20:57 »
I would not move them the stress could be too much.
If you can put enough food and water in the run they will be fine.
I went to spain for a week and left a neighbrough to look after ours ( thats another story) but I put a bucket of water in each run so all he had to do was top them up. I have hanging feeders so he just needed to top them up him being 75.
For two days and nights yours will be fine your run is secure enough

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 20:58 »
Thats what I thought I really don't want to move them as they are happy at home in their run but don't know what else to do, so worried that if I find someone else they'll let me down or not turn up as none of the people I've contacted have really been that experienced with chickens, mostly just cats and dogs.

We're in Ipswich, I do have another couple of places to try but again they're just for cats and dogs etc not really for chickens.

Maybe we could take them with us to stay in the hotel lol!!  :lol:

To be honest I'd rather not go  :blink:

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 21:00 »
Would agree, they'll be fine but could you find someone just to check on them in he morning and evening, make sure they've still go water and food and maybe close and open the pophole ?

Rob 8)

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 21:06 »
Do you think I could do that, just put enough food and water in their run for the weekend? Thing is they would need letting out each morning and shutting up at night as we don't have an automatic pop hole opener.

I've just bought some new feeders & drinkers that can be hung so they can't knock them over.

I guess I could ask the neighbours at a stretch to just let them in and out if I leave them enough food and water  :unsure:

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 21:13 »
That's what we do if away for a weekend. Never had problems. Neighbour is delighted to get involved and, of course, gets the eggs for her trouble.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 21:22 »
Thanks guys, that's really put my mind at rest  ::)  hubby reckons neighbour will be fine about it so fingers crossed they won't mind. As you say they will gets eggs out of it  ;)

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 21:41 »
....and once they dscover the pleasure of talking to chickens, they might get their own  :D

Rob 8)

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 21:50 »
Lol I doubt it, I think they think I'm crazy out there every morning chattering away to them  :lol: I don't care though, I love it  :tongue2:

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 21:52 »
Good for you  :D

We need a little more craziness  :D

Rob 8)

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 22:20 »
We leave ours over the weekend if it's only one night away i'd say don't worry even about shutting the pophole tyhough they are inside an electrified net.  if you can place on concrete or put paving stones around the run to prevent any foxes digging under they should be fine.

3 chx should eat no more than 850grammes of feed over two days so if your feeder is a 2.5 kg one there's plenty.  Water I'd be more concerned about as if it gets spilt there could be a problem.  I'm not very confident about a hanging water fountain as if they keep knocking against it it could be quickly drained.  I'd go for two more firmly anchored on the ground spaced apart which aren't too easy to knock over.

If you can get your neighbour on board you should be able to go away without worrying though.
Regards
Truth through science.

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:37 »
have you tried researching a local pet sitting company . The one i use is really good and only charge £4 a visit . Failing that why not try finding a family nearby with a teenager who will do it for a few quid and if you take care of stocking all the food up all they will have to do is open and shut the door

interlocutor

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:11 »
We live in Ipswich would be glad to help out for a few days, we have chickens on our allotment at Belstead are you anywhere near ?

We have a car so wouldn't be a problem,

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 13:08 »
have you tried researching a local pet sitting company . The one i use is really good and only charge £4 a visit . Failing that why not try finding a family nearby with a teenager who will do it for a few quid and if you take care of stocking all the food up all they will have to do is open and shut the door

Yes I've tried several and had one all set up but they emailed me yesterday saying they couldn't do it  :mad: I have found another one actually but to be honest I am really dubious now and worried they just won't turn up or something :unsure: I think we are going to ask our neighbours as I know them and if its just letting them in & out it should be ok.

We live in Ipswich would be glad to help out for a few days, we have chickens on our allotment at Belstead are you anywhere near ?

We have a car so wouldn't be a problem,

Thanks so much for the offer thats so kind of you but I wouldn't want to put you out and I think we are going to try asking the neighbours if its just shutting them in and letting them out in the mornings.

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 37 queries.