Raspberry canes?

• 7 Replies

ex-cavator

Raspberry canes?
« on: January 15, 2011, 18:34 »
I've so far been unable to find cheap raspberry canes in PondStretcher, Poundland, or elsewhere locally. Though I'm a relative newbie, I'm sure I'd seen them by this time in previous years - can anybody advise - am I too early / late / or otherwise where can I get some?  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry canes?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 18:42 »
It would break my heart to have to buy raspberry canes (although I admit I have done in the distant past!)

I would have thought that most people have trouble keeping them confined to their allotted space and would gladly part with a few rooted suckers.

Otherwise, I suppose it's possible that the very cold weather up until a week or so ago might have delayed the harvesting of canes; they should be available to buy in the next few weeks I would have thought.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 19:05 »
jak posted in the poundland topic to say she saw some  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69520.msg799755#msg799755

ex-cavator

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 19:10 »
Thanks, MoS, but I was in there today, not for the first time, and there were none  :mellow:

It would break my heart to have to buy raspberry canes (although I admit I have done in the distant past!)

I would have thought that most people have trouble keeping them confined to their allotted space and would gladly part with a few rooted suckers.

Otherwise, I suppose it's possible that the very cold weather up until a week or so ago might have delayed the harvesting of canes; they should be available to buy in the next few weeks I would have thought.

Well, if there's any forum members close to Banbury who are willing to share, I would be only too grateful  :wub:

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 22:20 »
Try Wilko's of you have one close by, i think i saw some in there this afternoon - although i can't be sure. My OH steers me away from the gardening section where ever possible!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Jono

• Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 13:26 »
My canes got diseased last year, so I've largely had to start again. I've just bought 12 Autumn Bliss from Thompson and Morgan for £20.

JamPan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 16:47 »
I picked some up from a kind lady on Freecycle yesterday morning and planted them yesterday afternoon.  Not much help to the OP, but I felt like sharing.  I love raspberries and was too late to do any last year.

ex-cavator

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 22:48 »
I picked some up from a kind lady on Freecycle yesterday morning and planted them yesterday afternoon.  Not much help to the OP, but I felt like sharing.  I love raspberries and was too late to do any last year.

Many thanks, JamPan - having read your reply I placed a wanted ad on Freecycle and it came up trumps - some kind gentleman has invited me to come & dig up as many summer fruiting raspberry plants as I like as they're threatening to take over his lawn  :D

xx
Raspberry canes

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 14:28
by gobs
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 18:33
by GardenShed
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2015, 08:44
by mdjlucan
question
Raspberry Canes

Started by daffodil on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 22:59
by tode

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 39 queries.