Burpless in a greenhouse?

• 6 Replies

gawk

Burpless in a greenhouse?
« on: May 11, 2009, 21:43 »
I'm growing F1 Burpless Tasty Green in my greenhouse on the allotment, at the moment they are doing really well and are starting to produce flowers.

My question is do I remove the male flowers or just leave them? Looking around it says leave them on but this seems to be for outdoor plantings. For indoor cucumbers I keep reading that I should remove the male flowers, I'm confused to say the least   ???

Has anyone had experience of growing these in a greenhouse? If so it would be great to hear of your experiences too.
It's all too much!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Burpless in a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 21:49 »
I'm growing F1 Burpless Tasty Green in my greenhouse on the allotment, at the moment they are doing really well and are starting to produce flowers.

My question is do I remove the male flowers or just leave them? Looking around it says leave them on but this seems to be for outdoor plantings. For indoor cucumbers I keep reading that I should remove the male flowers, I'm confused to say the least   ???

Has anyone had experience of growing these in a greenhouse? If so it would be great to hear of your experiences too.
Yes, and the first time i removed the male flowers cos i thought you had to, so i got no cukes. When i gave up and ignored them as useless thats when they started to crop...so leave the flowers on. :lol:
The greenhouse cukes are bred differently and don't want pollinating cos they go bitter :ohmy:

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:31 »
I too have Burpless in the greenhouse.

Do I tie the plants to Canes with string as they grow or do they have feelers that wrap themselves around the cane.?

Thanks

Steve

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:28 »
"For indoor cucumbers I keep reading that I should remove the male flowers,"

It depends on the variety, not whether they are grown indoor or outdoor.  Some need pollinating (the ones that normally grow outside, often called "Ridge Cucumbers") and others for others pollination causes the fruit to become bitter (the one that normally grow indoors).  There are F1 Indoor varieties now that only produce Female flowers - which takes care of not having to remove the male flowers, but it is then important not to have another Cucumber variety nearby that produces Male flowers!

Burpless is an outdoor Ridge variety which needs pollination.

Note that if you grow it indoors you may have to pollinate manually (small paint brush to transfer the pollen, or detach a male flower and poke it into a female flower)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:32 »
I always grow BTG outside as it's an outdoor variety. Not sure why you're growing them indoors

They don't produce male flowers unless they're under stress.

They will need tying to their supports, as they grow  :)

gawk

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:22 »
Thanks for all your replies  8)

mumofstig... I pulled a couple of male flowers off then wondered if this was the correct thing to do - as you said leave them on!

Kristen... thanks for the pollination tip, I will be taking nature into my own hands   :ohmy: ;)

compostqueen... I'm growing some in the greenhouse and some outside. Last year we didn't get many cucs outside so I am hedging my bets this time.

I think it is only the 'all female' varieties that produce male flowers when stressed.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 22:29 »
oops sorry, I was under stress when I said that  :D

xx
Burpless Cucumbers

Started by leeky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 14:42
by sclarke624
xx
Burpless Cucumber Question

Started by AdsaM on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 21:27
by AdsaM
xx
burpless tasty cucumber

Started by brendabel18 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 23:21
by compostqueen
xx
Bitter burpless tasty green

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2014, 09:04
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 37 queries.