Enid Blyton stories...

• 22 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Enid Blyton stories...
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 11:11 »
Years ago I started watching a Harry Potter film and just couldn't get to grips with it at all. I'm so not a dinosaur (Rex, get off my key b£$^&}} dhgkjjr) but those days were so beautifully innocent. There was no I-phone to bring you down from wherever your imagination sent you, and thank God there was no Kindle because when you read them again in later life there might be a few scribbles, dog-leafed pages or something else to trigger your memories all those years ago. Tell you what, when you open books for the first time they always have some sort of nice smell.  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 18:58 »
Awwww - marvellous!

Such memories of a super lady!

Didn't she just bring childhood alive with her insight, love, and admiration for children and their needs!

I suppose the Harry Potter stories did something similar, but I tried them and just didn't want to go on...

Ooh I love the HP books & films

Mrs Growster has read all the Harry Potter stories at least twice, and may well have another divulgement again very soon!

Have you tried J.K.Rowling's other books, writing as Robert Galbraith, Snows? She tells a great yarn about a private detective, Cormoran Strike, and the three I've read have been fantastic! Best to read them in order if you can!

Getting back to 'fantasy' though, I suppose it's something which never grabs me much. My dad used to read all The Hobbit yarns, but I just couldn't get on with those either...

There again, I just crave after 'Life on Mars' and 'Ashes to ashes', so I'm not a complete charlatan I suppose...

(And I loved 'The Prisoner' as well)!
Mr G, I read the first novel J.k.Rowling wrote as Robert Galbraith & didn’t enjoy it at all, I felt she’d just tried to distance herself from HP by using as many swear words as she could! I’ve not read the Cormoran Strike books but hubby & I thoroughly enjoyed the tv series & saw a few weeks ago that there’s to be another in the offing, so are looking forward to it. Il, have to look out for the books. It’s funny cos sometime ago you mentioned Kay Scarpetta & I looked her up then low & behold a book turned up on our book sale table at WI & I’ve been hooked ever since, so thank you.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 06:56 »
You're very welcome Snows!

Just finished a Tom Bradby book late last evening, (Secret Service) and that wasn't half [quote
[/quote]bad either...

author=GraciesGran
Famous five were always my favourites.  They persuaded me that reading was pleasurable and not a chore, happy days.  Still panic if there are less than five books waiting to be read.

Same here, Gracie's, I always grab a load from the local Cottage Hospital Charity shop, which actually competes with the library only a few yards away!

There have to be several on the shelves in case we can't get out - which I've only just realised, is the case just now..:0(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:57 by Growster... »

Mintyboy

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 07:43 »
My favourite  was Secret  Island. I read  it so much the  book  fell apart.
All I wanted to do as a kid was live on a Secret Island  and live off the land. I  guess  there is still a  bit of that in me.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 12:56 »
I was a Famous Five and Mallory Towers fan in particular.  I really liked the idea of midnight feasts in a school where everyone had fun  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 17:05 »
Were the Rockingdown, Ring o' Bells etc', books a different crowd then Yorkie?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 23:09 »
I shall have to stock pile books now.     I can take as many as I want from the library, if I can carry them.   I shall have a look in the childrens section on Tuesday  :)  We also have swap books at Church and at St. Barnabas.    Also WI, but that's only once a month.  Good Reading.     Do you think the Great Western Railways advert is a take on Famous Five ?   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 17:56 »
Were the Rockingdown, Ring o' Bells etc', books a different crowd then Yorkie?

:lol:

Strangely enough I don't recognise those names at all.  Not sure why - perhaps I was the wrong age for them, or my parents didn't get them out of the library, or something  :unsure: :wub:

xx
stranger stories about the garden

Started by rudyhock on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2018, 01:48
by rudyhock

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 38 queries.