Cabbage varieties

• 11 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Cabbage varieties
« on: December 27, 2011, 16:02 »
I sowed Ormskirk last year, albeit late (they're still not ready), but this year I wanted to try one or two other varieties, hopefully to cover a longer season. I prefer savoys, preferably not too big, and a couple of varieties that have caught my eye are F1 Samantha for autumn harvest and Bloemendaaise Gele for winter. Anybody tried these? If so, were they any good?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cabbage varieties
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 17:02 »
I've tried Samantha, which are a quite small and pointy savoy-type. The do not stand hard weather, so definitely to be eaten in the Autumn, and they are not dark green like the other savoys....if that's any help?

gobs

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 18:29 »
I am also partial to Savoys. That Samantha sounds like a summer savoy. I do not know the variety, but you could try sowing it early for summer cropping.

I grow a variety that is ready in June/July, I can send you a few seeds to try, if you want.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 18:47 »
I have grown Samantha for 2yrs now and we have 5 on the allotment at the moment,I know it's not that cold yet but we had they into January last year .a lovely  tasting Savoy just the right size for 2/3 people.
bazial

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 19:04 »
Thanks for that info. It sounds like Samantha would follow on into Bloemendaalse quite well, so maybe I'll give them both a go.

Gobs - thanks for the seed offer, that's very kind of you but I don't really want cabbage for summer, just for autumn/winter. Most years I tend to be disappearing under a pile of peas, beans and courgettes all through summer, so I save the brassicas for late autumn/winter and try to eat the veg fresh, as much as possible.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 20:30 »
Thanks for that info. It sounds like Samantha would follow on into Bloemendaalse quite well, so maybe I'll give them both a go.

Gobs - thanks for the seed offer, that's very kind of you but I don't really want cabbage for summer, just for autumn/winter. Most years I tend to be disappearing under a pile of peas, beans and courgettes all through summer, so I save the brassicas for late autumn/winter and try to eat the veg fresh, as much as possible.

You are all right. 8)

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 23:55 »
If you get the last "Garden News" (a weekly newspaper) they have a comprehensive section on cabbages...
Death OR Cake ???

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 13:25 »
I have Samantha in the garden and plot now and it seems to have stood just fine.  They are very compact, which is why I grew them, and one cabbage is fine for two or three people

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 14:13 »
That's exactly what I was looking for, because I'm also only feeding two people. When did you sow/plant out to get them standing until now? And what spacing did you use?

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 17:19 »
I'll have a look at my notes. The spacings for the plants can be very close as they take no room up at all  :)

Be right back  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 17:30 »
6th June and then potted them into modules for planting out. I planted some at the plot and some at home. Not looked at the plot ones for a while but the ones at home are looking well.  I think you could stagger the sowing and planting so you don't get a glut, like I have  :blush:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 22:38 »
Thanks, that sounds ideal.

xx
Clubroot resistant Savoy Cabbage varieties?

Started by Etherelda on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 16:58
by penance
xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
white cabbage and red cabbage?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:04
by muntjac
xx
Which Varieties???

Started by Bethslosttheplot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 12:15
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 30 queries.