do you have water on your allotment?

• 42 Replies

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
Re: do you have water on your allotment?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 08:58 »
I have a plot and a half in Mountnessing,the full plot is£12 per annum and the half plot £6,we are charged £5 extra for structures per annum I.E £5 for my greenhouse and £5 for my shed.
We have no mains water on site but by using water butts and caged 1000 litre tanks I am able to collect and store 4000 litres from the rooves of my greenhouse and shed and if I need to water a lot I am able to put a1000 litre tank on my pick up take it to my plot and use an engine powerd pump,hoses and sprinkler to give a good soaking.

Growster...

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 21:27 »
have 2 half plots in canterbury, both are a good distance from the tap, but one has the main site tap in the corner that drips slightly thats the one thats about 100 ft from the nearest tap I can get a hose on. Chilli which site are you on. mine are at Norfolk road and Victoria.
Grendel

Looked up your plots Grendel, on Gurglemapz!

Great spot, and seems well looked after - good stuff old chap!

I can remember buying petrol in the garage in Wincheap at 75p a litre...

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 23:50 »
We pay £27 per year for a 5.5 rod plot including £3 for my associate member (hubby!) and water rates.  I believe water rates are charged per rod.

We have one tap per 12 or so plots, each with containers which plotholders are encouraged to top up out of courtesy so people can dunk their watering cans for speed.  You are permitted to have water butts on your plots and can fill these using the hose but cannot use the hose to directly water plants.  Most people have them connected to sheds as well.  Taps are disconnected on first frost (roughly mid to late October) and reconnected when frosts are over (late April to May).

One article I found on this site a while back pointed out how your site can save money by ensuring your allotment isn't being charged for water disposal.  see http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/773/waste-water-abatements-reduce-allotment-water-charges/.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 23:02 »
Thanks for that link Angela.

Hopefully,the parish council are going to take the land being offered and will leave us to manage the allotments ourselves.
the water issue seems on the back burner,one non-alloment person wants the tap available and says we can keep it turned off.Future ppl might want the water.I personally can`t see water getting cheaper however,nor can I see many ppl coming for allotments.They have been free for over 5 years and although some have started,no-one keeps on,they soon leave.I think lives are just too busy to put in the time needed.

Anyway,thankyou everyone for your input.Tis much appreciated! ;)

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 07:32 »
our rent has gone up this year......its now £10 for a full plot lol.  we have self filling water butts every 4th plot,  like the ones they have for field animals. we do not pay any extra for water, sheds poly, tunnels or greenhouses, i feel very lucky.
LISA X X X

lizt

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 09:58 »
my little plot, about 30 foot square, is private owned and i pay £15 for the year, no water tap or anything else although 'i know a man' that has a horse so can get a big barrow load of rotted manure for £2.  :D
we have water butts and collect rain and in desperate times have trudged containers of water up to the allotment. :wacko:

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 10:58 »
we have a river that runs  at the bottom of the plots i use a honda  petrol water pump to take water when needed

Paul Plots

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 11:15 »
£48 a year rent for 1.5 plots.

This includes water for the Spring & Summer months - about 1 tap per loads-of plots but we have long hoses.  ;) Securely fenced site.

Some hog the stand-pipe for ages watering with the hose but others, like me, fill butts and baths in quiet times.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 13:22 »
We have self filling tanks on our alloments about one tank to every five to eight plots
We've found that we've had to turn off the water as people were watering even after its rained. :(
Our water bill has risen dramatically with the influx of new & perhaps less experienced plotholders :wub:.
Although a few older members have been using excessive amounts as well :dry:   

Growster...

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 06:38 »
During the dry spring here, I had to take water down in the wheelbarrow every other day, 11 gallons at a time, in plastic half-gallon milk bottles!

All together now...

;0)

Paul Plots

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 01:41 »
During the dry spring here, I had to take water down in the wheelbarrow every other day, 11 gallons at a time, in plastic half-gallon milk bottles!

All together now...

;0)

That's dedication!!

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 21:27 »
My neighbour just gave me 2 more huge goodness knows how many gallon butts,the big black ones.He gave me 2 last year.They will take an age to fill with plastic milk bottles from home,but it`ll be worth it in the spring !

The parish council meeting is next week.We allotment holders are invited.I expect they will be making firm decisions as the builders are moving in very soon.

fluffstermum

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 22:17 »
We pay £12.50 a year rent (half a plot) which includes water.

The usage is controlled to some extent by the committee turning off the water at the mains, turning it on for 2 weekdays a week plus weekends during the summer, switching it off completely out of season, and encouraging water butts and guttering wherever possible. It seems to work for us.

xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
No water at the allotment

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 19:21
by Togalosh
xx
How do you get your water to the allotment?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 22:36
by flitwickone
xx
Standing water on allotment.

Started by tom/barbara on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 14:55
by tom/barbara

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 28 queries.