do you have water on your allotment?

• 42 Replies

stompy

Re: do you have water on your allotment?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 13:48 »
We pay £45 for the plot and £5 for the water.

I am lucky as my plot has the water trough at the top.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 14:55 »
I now realise I am very lucky indeed - I have a big, full size plot which costs me £25 per year including water.  :) Doubly lucky in fact because the tap happens to be right at the end of my plot. Like BabbyAnn though, I belive our water is switched off during the winter months. I'm planning to build a shelter with guttering to collect rainwater as well though, which will be at the other end of the plot, so I won't have to carry my cans too far. Water butts are also provided, so I'm told. We are not allowed sheds though.
Rachael

SkipRat

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 19:18 »
My council plot 10 rods (300 Sqyards) costs £25 + £5 water charges which is very reasonable. We have a metred water suply that the council subsidises, but the last two years has seen the influx of new allotmenteers and two in particular use more water in a week then most of us will use in a year, which could become problamatic in the future, as the readings are way up from where they were in previous years.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

jonmiles

• Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 19:27 »
I have a lottie in Mile Road, Bedford, was a Council run site up to last year now the lottie holders 'own' it due to the foresight of the locally elected Mayor
£46 per year rent which includes water rates but reduced rates for umemployed; a tap for every 5 plots or so but this is one of the taps that has a slow release to stop. No hoses allowed except to fill up water butts.

Very good site run by the members, still have the Council connection so we get free wood chippings and leaf mould.

witchwoopiggy

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 19:32 »
i pay £22.86 a year for lotty which includes water and i think its a full sized plot   :blush: but we do not have taps we have water troughs so all watering is by watering can the taps were taken away due to over use im told, one trough per 8ish plots.

Babstreefern

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 19:37 »
It seems this week, that we've got water permanently - its called rain :lol:
Babs

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 20:31 »
You are all being really helpful! It`s also very interesting to know what goes on in the rest of the country.

I am going to be writing up my piece for the committee on Sunday afternoon,so please add your 6 penn`th if you haven`t already.
Thankyou.

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 07:44 »
We pay £18.00 per year for a full plot, and there's no water!

There's no waiting list, and also very little admin, so there's a lot of rubbish as well as untended plots, many of which were becoming overgrown in the 1980s.

There's a bit of a purge going on at present, because there really should be more care taken generally. I have a feeling things will change soon...

madcat

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 09:26 »
We pay £12.50 for a half plot to the parish council, plus £5 allotment society fees.  For that we get our plot and the society is slowly fencing round using member labour on working parties.  Water is a stream at the bottom (been dry since April time) and a communal tank at the top filled once a week by the fire brigade on training (assuming they dont get a call out).  No tap and the cost is prohibitive!   :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:  During the very dry weather people were bringing jerry cans of water up in boots of cars and wheel barrows for precious seedlings which was very tedious.

A wind turbine and a pump is very tempting but how to fund the capital ???  So shed roofs and water buts and clever contrivances is the order of the day ....   
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 13:58 »
About £25 a year for a half plot, and for that we get the fence looked after, wood chip, and self-filling water troughs.

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 14:54 »
We pay £12.50 for a half plot to the parish council, plus £5 allotment society fees.  For that we get our plot and the society is slowly fencing round using member labour on working parties.  Water is a stream at the bottom (been dry since April time) and a communal tank at the top filled once a week by the fire brigade on training (assuming they dont get a call out).  No tap and the cost is prohibitive!   :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:  During the very dry weather people were bringing jerry cans of water up in boots of cars and wheel barrows for precious seedlings which was very tedious.

A wind turbine and a pump is very tempting but how to fund the capital ???  So shed roofs and water buts and clever contrivances is the order of the day ....   

Almost exactly what we get Madcat.

Apparently, the fire brigade are not allowed to do the filling now; probably an elfunsaftie issue...

And we can't even get to the stream, as there are about two plots worth of brambles and saplings etc in the way...

I wouldn't mind a bit of notice being taken by the council here, at least there'd be some discipline and pride instilled in the tenants. I know that sounds a bit pious - smug even, but the place often looks like a tip, and we don't particularly want to work in a tip..

Babstreefern

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 20:16 »
Joking apart from my earlier reply (the constant rain!), our rent for a full plot is £30 pa (my hubby is an over 20 x 3 + 10 :D).  We will be paying for our water from next year :(

Anyway, which tarif does your water rates cover, is it domestic or some other tarif?

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 20:45 »
Reading some of the posts on here I think we're fairly lucky I pay £18 a year and have a tap right at the top of my plot which I share with my neighbour (1 tap between 2 plots throughout our site)
Faff free zone!

grendel

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 22:23 »
have 2 half plots in canterbury, both are a good distance from the tap, but one has the main site tap in the corner that drips slightly thats the one thats about 100 ft from the nearest tap I can get a hose on. Chilli which site are you on. mine are at Norfolk road and Victoria.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 21:17 »
Babs,thats a good question,I shall ask at the meeting :)

xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
How do you get your water to the allotment?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 22:36
by flitwickone
xx
No water at the allotment

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 19:21
by Togalosh
xx
Standing water on allotment.

Started by tom/barbara on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 14:55
by tom/barbara

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 29 queries.