Just wondering...

• 1 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Just wondering...
« on: March 31, 2011, 19:20 »
I called in at my local RSPCA centre today anmd found that, after a recent battery hen rescue, they still had 2 girls left.

I started out with ex-bats a couple of years ago and now have a mixed flock, 3 remaining ex-bats (one of which I'm now certain is a hermaphrodite!), and one each of speckled sussex, copper black maran, amber star, bluebelle and skyline, and had thought I might get another couple of ex-bats sometime soon as that's where the love started.

However, the girls have got company in the form of 2 rather handsome pekin bantam cockerels that were found as strays (!) and it seems a shame to split up a group. Although there is room in the main ark for a couple more birds, I also have a small house which I bought as quarantine quarters, 2'x3' with a run 2'x8', and thought that may be the ideal place to settle them before letting them free range with the others.

The only thing is I've never had cockerels and don't have any idea what to expect when they're introduced to all my girls. Is it a wise or unwise move? HELP!

daisy1990

Re: Just wondering...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 19:58 »
A lot depends on how near you are to neighbours, two boys will make quite a noise!  I have no experience of keeping boys so would imagine you need to consider what would happen if they stop getting along (changing the mix can change the dynamics) good luck with whatever you decide to do, its great that good folks like you can give hens a happy home!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
Just in case you are wondering......

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 22:47
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Wondering about Pekins?

Started by Khususi on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 19:50
by Evansent

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 32 queries.