Nothing seems to be working.

• 7 Replies

NormandyMary

Nothing seems to be working.
« on: October 14, 2010, 17:04 »
Monty's foot is still very swollen, despite him being on antibiotics for at least 2 weeks. I did some surgery on his foot again this afternoon, and so much liquid muck came out, not thick pus as before. His foot is still very hot, and infact, he sits at an angle now to keep his foot from being under him. He is very unsteady on his feet, but in himself he seems well, eating me out of house and home, and putting on weight.
I just don't know what to do for the best. He has oral and spray antibios every day as well as a foot bath. I aim to drain more stuff from his foot Saturday so that he doesnt remember. He already knows that the blue bowl means bath!
You just wouldn't believe how worried I am about him, if I thought the vet could do more than me, I'd take him, but I dont think she could. I dont think he is in pain, if I did then it would be a no brainer. Anyone got any more ideas about what I could do to help him?

jinty1911

Re: Nothing seems to be working.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 19:48 »
Have you tried a Kaolin or Bread poultice .  It draws fluid out and helps dry it up.  Old fashoined but maybe worth a try?  ::)
Jinty

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 19:59 »
Is it worth trying a different antibiotic?  If it's anything like us humans, they don't always work for us do they and we have to try a different type.

I do hope he's on the mend soon.  I know how hard it is too know one of your beloved birds is unwell.

Do you dress his foot inbetween surgeries?  I found it's really worked with my girls as it keeps the wound clean.  I use a small lint square, soaked in antiseptic and then bound with strips of vetwrap.

I've got my fingers crossed that he's soon on the mend.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 20:51 »
Nothing to add to the above advice but just to wish you luck.  Poor Monty  :(  .  Keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:06 »
Do you know?....you lot are just the best!! I feel so lonely, fed up and sad over my poor little man, and you pipe up with support. Thanks so much. OH thinks he understands, but I dont think he does really.
In answer to FL, no I havent covered it, just sprayed it and let the air get to it. He is out of germs way as he is on his own in a Tesco delivery box which is cleaned out several times a day. There is no open wound as such, just a line where I cut him with a scalpel. Perhaps if it were an open wound it would drain better.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:26 »
Nothing to suggest to you, just wanted to wish you well and send you all my best wishes and good luck
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 13:28 »
Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job Mary, but possibly do try alternative ABs as suggested. 

Such a worrying time, hang in there, he's worth it.

Hugs and mealworms to both.
x

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 17:14 »
It is a very worrying time for you i hope she getts better very soon. sending ((((hugs))))

xx
Working help!

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 14:46
by splash101
xx
Introducing new bantams and it is not working ?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2016, 21:28
by grinling
xx
working and keeping hens

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 15:31
by Pertelotte
xx
Electric fence not working

Started by mothership on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 08:58
by Sassy

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.