nest box advise

• 12 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
nest box advise
« on: October 13, 2010, 15:33 »
i have my hens in a renovated coop and have had to fully remake the nest box. the box is four nest boxes together on the wall of the shed (if that makes sence) but the old one was split in the middle but mine is open. my question is do i need to seperate the individual boxes or can i leave them open?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: nest box advise
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 16:02 »
I would split them, but then others may say the opposite, my way of thinking is when chooks lay they like privacy and to be snug.
I have two boxes but they only lay in one, always have and I suspect always will.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Junie

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 16:05 »
I would say split too - to be on the safe side - mine only use one at a time - all eggs usually in one box - although it varies which one!  ?I do have a wine case on the roost area so they can lay if I am late putting them out, but quite a few seem to 'hang on' to use the outside cosy nest box.

evie2

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 16:10 »
Separating the nest boxes makes easy cleaning and gives the hens a choice of where to lay.

Personally I'd section them off.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 17:22 »
I'd split them too.  It gives them choice and privacy.  V important when laying an egg I think.  A bit like us going to the loo.  Personally would not be able to perform with open plan facilities! :blush:

Oakdalebirds

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 17:59 »
\i have to agree with all the above

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 15:45 »
but should i split into two as before or split into 4?

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 16:34 »
I think the books recommend that you have 1 nest box per 3 chooks.  However, I think the chooks might have access to a different set of books, cos they tend to have a fav box, and will all go in the same one, unless it's already occupied, then they'll move on to the next one.

So, depends how many chooks you have.

Junie

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 18:57 »
I think the books recommend that you have 1 nest box per 3 chooks.  However, I think the chooks might have access to a different set of books, cos they tend to have a fav box, and will all go in the same one, unless it's already occupied, then they'll move on to the next one.

You have much brighter chickens than mine! Over the summer in 35-40 degree heat, they were, at time, 3 in a box all trying to lay.  I was so worried for their safety and hoping that they would get out if they were too hot!
It is better to give then a space that they are likely to like in the first instance as it can be quite difficult getting them to stop laying in one place and starting in another.

jinty1911

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 19:34 »
I have 3 chicks and 2 nest boxes and they all used to take turns each in different boxes, but since Grace has decided to go broody she will not move out of her favorite box.  The other two just pile in on top of her and insist on laying there, both at the same time.  Makes it difficult to do anything about the broody as it's always when I am leaving for work, so wee Gracie is nice and cosy nesting on the other 2's eggs all day.  Boy is she in for a shock!!! Have 3 days off coming up and she is going to be kicked out of box as soon as others have laid. Hopefully that will put her off.  :tongue2:  :tongue2:   

Junie

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 20:04 »
Good Luck - we needed a pair of up to elbow pruning gloves to get our sussex out ???

Flowerpower136

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 13:24 »
Good Luck - we needed a pair of up to elbow pruning gloves to get our sussex out ???

Haa!  Can just imagine the scene. :lol:  Bet she was cross.

Junie

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 16:59 »

Haa!  Can just imagine the scene. :lol:  Bet she was cross.
Livid!!
She had been there a while, she used to get off to let the others lay then get back on again!!  There was no way they were going to hatch, we did get her to sit elsewhere, but no chicks  :(

xx
Advise please

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:19
by ANHBUC
xx
Any advise welcome

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 13:22
by Sassy
xx
I need your advise please

Started by krystal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 15:29
by bantam novice
xx
Advise Please

Started by parson on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 20:04
by nerdle

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 28 queries.