concrete??
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1

need help starting out

• 12 Replies

jarrode0

need help starting out
« on: July 26, 2009, 18:15 »
me and a few mates would like to get some chickens as there are plots of land for sale and we would like to make some money off the eggs we can sell.we had chickens before so we now how to look after them and about housing them.the problem is one of the plots of land has concrete on it so will it be okk????    and i would like to know the best chickens for us prefibly ones that lay a lot of eggs and regulaly.    thanks if you can help

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: need help starting out
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 18:22 »
I'm sure proper chicken peeps will be along soon but did you mean to create a poll? The two alternative options don't make any sense  ::) :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 18:46 »
Hi jarrode.

In my opinion, concrete isn't suitable unless there's some soil or grass as well. I wouldn'twaste time hoping to make money off them unless you're going to keep hundreds on several acres.
By the time you've bought or built a shed and a secure run, you'll be at least a couple of hundred pounds down, which will take a few years to make back once you take the cost of food and medication out of the profits.
I would suggest coming up with a different idea for money making. Let us know what you think of and we'll do the same  ;)

ROb 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 19:41 »

By the time you've bought or built a shed and a secure run, you'll be at least a couple of hundred pounds down,

:ohmy:  Never !  Mine's cost me HEAPS more than that  :ohmy:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 20:27 »
As most of the members on here know, Brian and I raise chicks by the 500 at a time and sell them as chicks or pullets at point of lay.  We don't make oodles of money and most of it goes back into making our chooks lives happier and healthier. 

So if you want to make a decent amount of money out of selling eggs, you would need acres and 1000's.  Look at John Bowler's website for figures.  don't expect a quick return!!

Parsnip

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 20:33 »
me and a few mates would like to get some chickens as there are plots of land for sale and we would like to make some money off the eggs we can sell.we had chickens before so we now how to look after them and about housing them.the problem is one of the plots of land has concrete on it so will it be okk????    and i would like to know the best chickens for us prefibly ones that lay a lot of eggs and regulaly.    thanks if you can help

I'm slightly confused here Jarrode0 ( it's not hard I admit) ..There are a few qustions that I would need answering in order to give you the best advice..

How many Chickens have you kept before?

What breed were they?

How many are you planning to keep?

What sort of housing will you be able to provide?

How much land will they have? ( ie will thay be free range)..what do you propose to feed them?

What sort of shelter will they have?

Will someone be on hand everyday to look after them?

Seems like a lot of questions, but if you are looking for egg production you need to provide them with the basics ... :)

But in answer to your question, I wouldn't ever put chickens on solely concrete.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 20:40 »
By the way Jarrode, how did your homemade incubator do back in April?  Sounded like a really interesting project  :).

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 20:53 »
i'll have to admit i thought about going into poultry, i have 30 acres and a world full of knowledge right at my finger tips (here on this forum) i thought if i could make a bit of money from my hobby it would be great, even just making enough to pay for my birds as pets would good, however, when i looked into it and gave it a great deal of thought i found out there would be very little money to be made from an awful lot of hard work, if you do your figures then you'll find that only serious breeders with years of experiance can make a go of it, and even then, you have to realise that chickens are not a way of making money, they're a way of life.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 21:37 »
I have to agree, I had a bet with a friend that the eggs laid would pay for the food,[this wasn't including housing,bedding, vets bills etc.]
   If that was the case they'd all be starving :wacko:
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 21:43 »
hi, im so dozy...think ive voted for concrete and didnt mean to. i dont think chickens should be kept on concrete all the time. they are woodland creatures and need to scrat and scratch the ground to look for tasty morsels.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 21:47 »
Don't worry Dizzie, I don't think it should have been a poll anyway, they probably clicked the wrong button!!!  :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 21:53 »
phew..... well at least i live up to my name Grannie he he he  x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 06:27 »
I daren't add up what my hens have cost me so far - housing, straw, hemcore, organic feeds, vets bills, more vets bills, feeders, automatic pophole, broody ark, plus buying the hens/eggs. Then there's preventative treatments - poultry shield, diamatom, petroleum jelly etc. But what I get back from them is priceless  :D. If I was to sell my eggs then there would also be the cost of the egg boxes and trays, plus I'd have to register with defra etc.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Starting to lay!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 19:37
by Wildeone
xx
Starting again

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 02:05
by hillfooter
xx
Just starting

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 09:55
by Viv
xx
starting out

Started by darby on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 22:17
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.