Thin hens and more can you help me plz????

• 4 Replies

debs79

Thin hens and more can you help me plz????
« on: August 19, 2010, 20:43 »
Hi there i am new to the forum and looking for some help plz
I have 7 ex battery hens so not sure how old they are,but i have a few concerns about them ,i have just been to put them to bed coz they daft girls would not go in so i gave them a helping hand and when i came to pick them up they are really thin
i noticed this more coz they were wet and you can feel the bones ,i am getting about 0-5 eggs a day and they look bright eyed  and responsive,
when i got them i went to our local farm to see what they needed to be fed they said layers pellets then hubby phone the peeps we got them of and they was still on chick crum even though they was laying they are still on small holders layers pellets and eat all day out of the feeder,

Also most of them are sneezing day and night

can anyone help me plz i would be most greatfull
debs

Casey76

Re: Thin hens and more can you help me plz????
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 10:23 »
Hi and welcome to the madhen house :)

First of all, laying hens are thin.  They have very little muscle in the breast area, and the breast bone will be noticable when you pick them up (the more you go towards dual purpose and meat birds the more meat they have on the breast area).

You need to feed them layers pellets (or layers mash or ex-batt pellets, depending on how well they can eat, and how much their beaks have been trimmed - most ex-batts adapt to normal pellets pretty quickly.

Hens are foraging animals, which means that they eat constantly thoughout the day... not in meals like a cat or dog would, so they are fine in this respect.

With regard to the sneezing, what do you have in the coop/next boxes/on the floor of the run?

Hay and straw can be dusty which can cause the hens to sneeze.  Hay can be a source of mould spores (as can straw), especially if it has become damp during storage, and this can also cause the hens to sneeze (it can also be a cause of a nasty lung disease called aspergillosis - but I don't want to worry you as it is a rare occurrance!)

Sneezing can also be a sign of a respiratory infection, in which case you will need to take at least one to the vet to get some antibiotics (the vet will prescribe enough for your whole flock).  This usually goes in the water so it is easy to administer.

Good luck with your new ex bats :)

tamnwill

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:05 »
Hi Debs, just wondering how your chooks are? Has the sneezing stopped? Is there any mucas coming out of their nostrills or any weepy eyes? Tam

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 16:10 »
Hi Debs,
When we got our ex batts they were almost bald, very very thin and rather slow.  The advice on here is spot on.  I would just add that once they are over their sneezing and all on the mend ground down kitten biscuits may help them gain weight, it helped our ladies. We tried tinned cat food but no one liked it. We still have Daisy who regularly comes into the kitchen to steal the cats biscuits
Good luck

Kathie
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Chicken Pete

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 16:22 »
Read your message and was very interested to see some of the comments posted in reply.
We have 12 chickens of which 6 are thin, 3 are a little 'plumper' and 3 are just good plump chickens.  There is a weight difference of 2lbs + between the thin and plumb ones!!!
We get about 7/8 eggs a day so does this mean the bigger ones are not laying?  As these are all the same age can someone explain what has caused this difference in size and weight.
Thanks

xx
Very Thin Hens

Started by laurahargreaves1 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 22, 2012, 22:31
by laurahargreaves1
xx
Thin Goldline?

Started by SueC on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 10:02
by Vember
xx
Help - Thin & Unkempt Hen

Started by SJC on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 21:14
by compostqueen
xx
Thin eggshell!!

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 17:04
by Jomtie

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 32 queries.